Suggestion of school for RPL in Sydney

It depends where you are.

Bankstown Airport is centrally located and the best GA flying school in the Sydney Basin is there at Sydney Flying Club - www.sfcaero.com.au and the air conditioning works.

If you want Ultra-lights try Dave's Flying School or Sydney Recreation Flying Club at The Oaks for good, cheap flying with most excellent instructors - $150/HR instruction in a Jabiru or Foxbat.

• Like 1

If you want Ultra-lights try Dave's Flying School or Sydney Recreation Flying Club at The Oaks for good, cheap flying with most excellent instructors - $150/HR instruction in a Jabiru or Foxbat.

Forgot about Dave's flying school. I have flown with Dave and he is excellent. Not going to get better value for money anywhere else.

Gostner Aviation at Camden has VH- and 24- registered Jabs, plus flying either you get experience in flying in controlled airspace.OME

The problem with RA at a Class C or D airport (Camden or Bankstown) is that you can't fly solo unless you have a PPL or RPL. Your instructor will have to fly you to somewhere, like Wollongong, so you can fly solo sequences. The same problems continue after you get an RPC.

The problem with RA at a Class C or D airport (Camden or Bankstown) is that you can't fly solo unless you have a PPL or RPL.

I think that there is some arrangement, or permission given to RA students undertaking their training with the likes of Gostner to fly solo at these airports. After all, the RA and GA students would typically have the same number of dual hours in the circuit before being sent solo. Technically, a solo student is flying under the surveillance of the instructor. Good instructors monitor their students when solo, and often have the ability to communicate by radio in the event of a situation.

OME

The problem with RA at a Class C or D airport (Camden or Bankstown) is that you can't fly solo unless you have a PPL or RPL ...

CASA has issued a whole series of exemptions for RAAus flight training by particular schools at Class D airports. Here's one for Bankstown.

• Informative 1

Thanks!I have sent an email to Dave and waiting for his reply. As I stay in hurstville, its a little bit far to me. So I found another school at the same time. learn-to-fly Have you guys fly here before? Thanks!

Clamback and Hennessy is a GA school and will cost about the same as AAA. If you are at Hurstville you have the option of slipping down to Wollongong (Albion Park). If you are travelling by public transport you would have almost door to door travel as the airport is right next to Albion Park Station. I don't know about the GA costs there but being out of Sydney (or Camden) with no price gouging by the airport owner or a tower the cost may be lower. For RAA check out Bruce Robbins - Illawarra Recreational Flight Centre 0412 209 953 [email protected]. Bruce is very approachable and can discuss a range of options with you.

Swapping from an RAA RPC to a GA RPL isn't just a matter of filling forms as you would need to do a GA Flight Review and may require additional training in a GA plane. It would be advisable to do your RPC, Radio, Passenger, Human Factors and Cross Country endorsments with RAA first as they can be carried over into a GA RPL at a much lower cost than picking them up in GA. A good RAA instructor will ensure that you are being well trained for a transition to GA.

In any case RAA planes are a delight to fly. They are the MX5s of aviation. Not too gutsy but fun to fly but without some of the Land Rover characteristics of some GA planes (IMHO) - nor a doubling of hire charges!!!

• Agree 1

It has been quite a while.

But my go to man would be George, at Basair, Bankstown. And only George. He was a F111 pilot instructor and then swapped to Blackhawks, when he saw the writing on the wall. Went on to instruct Blackhawks.

Just a bit talented and loved teaching others how to fly properly. He was never after the money, but just loved to pass on the passion.

What that man can do with a 152..............a true class act.

But alas that was 7 odd years ago.

I am not sure of his whereabouts now.

If you can find him- he is the real deal

• Haha 1

Clamback and Hennessy is a GA school and will cost about the same as AAA. If you are at Hurstville you have the option of slipping down to Wollongong (Albion Park). If you are travelling by public transport you would have almost door to door travel as the airport is right next to Albion Park Station. I don't know about the GA costs there but being out of Sydney (or Camden) with no price gouging by the airport owner or a tower the cost may be lower. For RAA check out Bruce Robbins - Illawarra Recreational Flight Centre 0412 209 953 [email protected]. Bruce is very approachable and can discuss a range of options with you.Swapping from an RAA RPC to a GA RPL isn't just a matter of filling forms as you would need to do a GA Flight Review and may require additional training in a GA plane. It would be advisable to do your RPC, Radio, Passenger, Human Factors and Cross Country endorsments with RAA first as they can be carried over into a GA RPL at a much lower cost than picking them up in GA. A good RAA instructor will ensure that you are being well trained for a transition to GA.

In any case RAA planes are a delight to fly. They are the MX5s of aviation. Not too gutsy but fun to fly but without some of the Land Rover characteristics of some GA planes (IMHO) - nor a doubling of hire charges!!!

I tried to compare the cost of 2 different schools.

https://media.wix.com/ugd/768d53_8237dc4596414171a2590fad7af68034.pdf

http://www.aeroacademy.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AAA-Course-Costs-1-Feb-2015.pdf

AAA is much higher.

Is there any disadvantage of RAA PRC than RPL if PPL is my following step?

I tried to compare the cost of 2 different schools.https://media.wix.com/ugd/768d53_8237dc4596414171a2590fad7af68034.pdf

http://www.aeroacademy.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AAA-Course-Costs-1-Feb-2015.pdf

AAA is much higher.

Is there any disadvantage of RAA PRC than RPL if PPL is my following step?

An RPC with all the endos will be much cheaper than an RPL with the same endos. Conversion to PPL will still cost. You will find the test for a PPL will be harder than for either a RPL or a RPC. Any hours you do in RAA will still count towards a PPL and any experience you pick up flying RAA will always be of use. I'm not sure what the diff is between AAA and Clambacks but AAA will probably be teaching in a aerobatic type plane to an aerobatic standard whereas Clambacks will be teaching in a Piper or Cessna. All schools offer a "Trial introduction Flight (TIF)" $150 for an hour in RAA or $200 for 45mins in GA. Be aware that at Bankstown it takes a while to taxy before takeoff and this comes out of the 45 mins. It felt as though half my licence was earned taxying. Also try www.sfcaero.com.au Try to compare the components of what is being offered not just the bottom line. If you just do a TIF at a Range of places you can evaluate the schools and instructors and quizz them about their offerings, their expectations of you and your potential. You will build up hours and skills with each TIF, nothing ever gets written off.

• Like 1

The problem with RA at a Class C or D airport (Camden or Bankstown) is that you can't fly solo unless you have a PPL or RPL. Your instructor will have to fly you to somewhere, like Wollongong, so you can fly solo sequences. The same problems continue after you get an RPC.

Pretty sure they can fly solo but once you have your RA certificate you can't fly in Class D. Exemption only allows training.

Pretty sure they can fly solo but once you have your RA certificate you can't fly in Class D. Exemption only allows training.

Seems like the exemptions might allow more latitude than I thought. CASA EX28/15 - Exemption — solo flight training using ultralight aeroplanes registered with the RAA at Bankstown Aerodrome

While the exemption only allows training, it is not restricted to students.

Thus if you have an RPC but are operating "under the control of the operator for the operation and carrying out of training sequences authorised by the operator’s chief flying instructor" then you're good to go.

One of the problems with the current regulatory regime is that you can't just read the regs to discover the rules (and that is a task in itself, eg Part 61) but you also need to trawl through hundreds of exemptions/directives/directions/authorisations/approvals/instructions/permissions - have a look at the list of Legislative Instruments on the CASA site.

Too much for this poor old pilot who just wants to enjoy his flying and explore our great country.