Aircraft paint suppliers

IanR

We are almost at the stages of starting the repaint on my Auster into its original colour scheme. Our intention was to use dope over the fabric and two pack on the metal surfaces. Unfortunately the paint supplier who we normally use (Pheonix at Bankstown) is in the process of moving and will not be able to mix paints for another couple of months

Any suggestions on a good supplier I could go to ? We will be getting them to mix based on british standard colours

This is the mob that Dent Aviation gets their paint from: www.bccoatings.com.au .They can mix the colours you want in 2-Pack.I got the paint for my bike from them, too.

OME

Thanks OME - unfortunately I don't think they do the dope - its Dave who is doing the Auster !

We are almost at the stages of starting the repaint on my Auster into its original colour scheme. Our intention was to use dope over the fabric and two pack on the metal surfaces. Unfortunately the paint supplier who we normally use (Pheonix at Bankstown) is in the process of moving and will not be able to mix paints for another couple of monthsAny suggestions on a good supplier I could go to ? We will be getting them to mix based on british standard colours

Phones paints have today shipped fabric cement to me made to order

Product price great frieght great ripoff

Mick

• Informative 1

Phones paints have today shipped fabric cement to me made to orderProduct price great frieght great ripoff

Mick

Thanks Mich - where are Phones Paints ?

Any use for a couple of old cans of dope-thinners (might be dope but seems thin), Aircraftcoatings.spacesailor

Thanks for the offer but no use I am afraid !

This is probably not the most helpful of suggestions, as it sounds like you are committed to a particular covering/paint system

BUT

I have had a very good experience with the Stewart System, producing a near professional finish on my first attempt at recovering & painting an aircraft. Unmanly as it may seem I followed the comprehensive"how to" instructions and even got excellent support by phone & e-mail from the suppliers.

The beauty of the Stewart System is it uses products that are much less toxic than conventional systems and the spraying is done at relatively low pressures so aerosols are minimised and "clean up" is done using water.

• Like 2

Here are some links that might help with the research:

Wartime Camouflage Colours | Patrick Baty – Historical paint consultant

Foliage Green - A Brief Discussion by Gary Byk and Peter Malone (This is a site for model plane builders, but the background information could be useful)

OME

• Like 1