Power bank chargers?

Hey guys, I have a 15000mAh power bank charger that I was planning to charge tablets and go pros on long flights. Just wondering if these are allowed in the aircraft?Rich

Don't know whether they are allowed or not.

However,

of a power bank test. Of particular interest is the temperature the components get to when running a 2.1 amp (eg iPad) load. At about the 15 minute mark, he examines the component temps, and they are WAY too hot for me to ever think of putting a powerbank in my aircraft.About 120C to 140C. I would make sure that your particular powerbank doesnt reach those temps before flying with it.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 3

There are big differences in quality of these.Let alone capacity claims.

If you can find one go for LiFe type

LiThium Polymer -most of them, can catch fire. Can be caused by faulty or damaged separators inside. A good drop pre take off could easily do it to a cheapy.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

If you take a look at the DG requirements for commercial, they can be carried in carry on but not check-in. Nothing said for a light aircraft, but I'd make sure it is in reach just in case.

My suggestion would be to try and setup tablets to conserve as much battery as possible (screen brightness, data off, using an external bluetooth GPS instead of internal etc) and save the powerbank for emergencies. I put mine out of direct light and in a side pocket to keep it cool.

As to using go pros, it might be easier to connect via USB to the aircraft's power if possible. Just make sure you use the proper type of adapter.

A lot of 12 v USB adapters generate bad rf interfereance. That's why there are $300-$600 isolated ones for aircraft

iPad runs way cooler when taking power from external battery for some reason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Technically Captain it seems to be a limit to the size of battery you can use in flight, doesn't appear to be a size limit if you are just carting them and using them at your destination.

dangerous goods for commercial flights may differ slightly to private ops too.

Technically Captain it seems to be a limit to the size of battery you can use in flight, doesn't appear to be a size limit if you are just carting them and using them at your destination.dangerous goods for commercial flights may differ slightly to private ops too.

That's right.........Isn't RJW asking about using them in flight? Cartage of the battery is different.

There may be some differences for private flying but I can't find any reference for it. It's all ICAO D.G.'s far as I know, but I'm happy to be enlightened if someone finds a reference in the regs or elsewhere.

• Like 1

I have a 15000mAh power bank charger.

I loked at this and thought that is some powerful machine, then realised it is 1.5 amps.

I use an el cheapo plug in to a cigarette lighter USB output to keep my iPad charged from ships power 12V. No problems woth radio interference or any other way.

• Like 1

15,000 mA;/H is 15 Amp-hour. If the cell inside is 4V then that is 60 Watt - hour of energy. If it is three pouch cells in series for a 12V output booster/charger then thats just under 180 Watt - hours energy