Where to take someone for a day out?

Akromaster

Where do you go for a day out with someone who's not really interested in flying to another airfield for banter with other aviators? I'm in VIC but feel free to contribute for others to benefit.

My brother loves his fishing and he drives all over the country towing his boat to do it. I'm yet to convince him of the economy (in time) to get his pilot license/certificate so he doesn't have to drive. Anyone know of fishing spots near airfields?

My teen kids are often my other passengers...fly-ins or visiting airfields are not their thing. Took my daughter to a very expensive lunch at Millawa was fantastic. Other more general places like that would be great too...my son had a great time at Echuca.

Ideas?

Ak

Where do you go for a day out with someone who's not really interested in flying to another airfield for banter with other aviators? I'm in VIC but feel free to contribute for others to benefit.My brother loves his fishing and he drives all over the country towing his boat to do it. I'm yet to convince him of the economy (in time) to get his pilot license/certificate so he doesn't have to drive. Anyone know of fishing spots near airfields?

My teen kids are often my other passengers...fly-ins or visiting airfields are not their thing. Took my daughter to a very expensive lunch at Millawa was fantastic. Other more general places like that would be great too...my son had a great time at Echuca.

Ideas?

Know of a few good places to land and go fresh water fishing, you could land at our strip and my oldest could show you all the best cod fishing holes in the area

Ak

• Like 1

Hi Akro,

I suppose Barwon Heads must be a nice little hamburger run down from Penfield, no?

Maybe a short taxi ride to Ocean Grove for lunch and walk along the beach/river?

P1030058.jpg.0472314327b4e453166c3334afc10b8b.jpg

Hi Akro,I suppose Barwon Heads must be a nice little hamburger run down from Penfield, no?

Maybe a short taxi ride to Ocean Grove for lunch and walk along the beach/river?

Hmm..hadn't even thought about Barwon Heads...looks good, however from their website says it's prior permissions required and $10 landing fee. Not too bad I suppose.

As a side note, Combat fighter flights based out of BH...since hearing about them in the US, I've always wanted to have a go. Going to have to pay them a visit!

Storch wouldn't need much beach to arrive or depart. Somewhere where you can't drive to.

Should qualify that it's a Fly Synthesis Storch and although it's supposed to be a good STOL aircraft (35kt stall in landing config), I've not tested that capability.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious about mt beauty. Haven't got there myself yet, but it looks like the strip is right next to town and the lake. Maybe a fly-in fishing trip?

Also curious about the storch. I have considered them for a potential future purchase but the mtow concerns me. It looks like you can't get much fuel on if you're two up?

Mt Beauty is definitely on my list but from Riddells it's over a lot of tiger country and mountains which makes me a little nervous - unless I fly around to Benalla - Wangaratta to minimise flying over that terrain.

Re: Storch

I'm only a little guy and so are my usual passengers so we're right up at the mtow with full fuel and 10kg luggage. But yea otherwise there's not much room for fuel or luggage for an average Aussie.

I like that idea of walking to the beach. Will have to add that to the list.

Mt Beauty is definitely on my list but from Riddells it's over a lot of tiger country and mountains which makes me a little nervous - unless I fly around to Benalla - Wangaratta to minimise flying over that terrain.Re: Storch

I'm only a little guy and so are my usual passengers so we're right up at the mtow with full fuel and 10kg luggage. But yea otherwise there's not much room for fuel or luggage for an average Aussie.

If you are keen to go to Mt Beauty we have been there many times , caught a few small trout in the pondage, only 15 min walk into town , you could stop into our strip which is sort of on the way, also dodges a lot of tiger hiding spots , and we could organize a flight,

If you are keen to go to Mt Beauty we have been there many times , caught a few small trout in the pondage, only 15 min walk into town , you could stop into our strip which is sort of on the way, also dodges a lot of tiger hiding spots , and we could organize a flight,

The Storch is undergoing some repairs at the moment but might have to take you up on it with my brother or son once it's good to go. Must be pretty bumpy getting there this time of year right?

• Informative 1