Transponder for Jandakot

Pindan

I know the RACWA 152's typically didn't have transponders and still don't as far as I know, but CASA proposed in 2014 that they should be required for operations in Class D. I don't know whether that became mandatory. A call to the control tower would be the easiest way to get the answer.

rgmwa

I recall one of our earlier Club members nailed an old mode A Txpdr into his Flexwing trike. . .( circa 1983-4 ) his idea being that he could easily cross controlled airspace thus equipped. . . . But I have no idea if it actually worked. . . .in 1988, I don't think even Birmingham Intl. had SSR capabilty. . .

**eDIT** GOT THE DATES AWRY. . .

I know the RACWA 152's typically didn't have transponders and still don't as far as I know, but CASA proposed in 2014 that they should be required for operations in Class D. I don't know whether that became mandatory. A call to the control tower would be the easiest way to get the answer.rgmwa

You were perfectly right. I called them and currently a transponder is not required to land there.

Thanks for the advive

Wow, that's interesting, I always just assumed (yes stupid I know) that it was required.........mmmmmm, wonder how the tower will respond when I call inbound in my Tike 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif004_oh_yeah.gif.9e5fda4460dcecb69107978dfbca9899.gif

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I need a transponder to fly into Jandakot. I have had both the yes and no answer from different sources.

check this link out Tutorial: Australian airspace regulations

There are more formal tables, perhaps in the VFR Guide. It is better to contact the tower or the official documentation for an authoritative guide.

VFRG version 5 section 3.85 says if a transponder is fitted use code 3000 in class D or a discrete code already assigned. I recommend a paper copy of the VFRG. A PDF version was supposed to be forthcoming but I couldn't wait and searching it online is the pits