Transiting Amberley class C on weekends

rdarby

i just want to make sure about this. Amberley is class C but only when active right? So on a weekend if they are closed, I should be able to fly over the top on my way from Redcliffe to Warwick, without clearance? It just reverts to G?

It just seems odd they let a recreational bug smasher fly over the top of an airforce base just because it is a Sunday!

It depends...

Call Amberley Delivery on their frequency. If a machine responds it will tell you the status of the airspace. Likewise a human will do the same. ATS hours are by NOTAM so check the NOTAMs. ATS mat be active on short notice even on weekends (e.g. Clifton Fly In March 11-13)

It's all in the ERSA entry. See flight procedures section 5 for VFR transit. See notes at the end. Lots of use of the word "mandatory".

And for the love of all that is good and holy please keep listening out on the Amberley Delivery frequency. No point in being half way across the paddock when the Bulls are let loose

i just want to make sure about this. Amberley is class C but only when active right? So on a weekend if they are closed, I should be able to fly over the top on my way from Redcliffe to Warwick, without clearance? It just reverts to G?It just seems odd they let a recreational bug smasher fly over the top of an airforce base just because it is a Sunday!

Nothing odd. Outside tower times (i.e. Mornings ) Townsville airport is class G and it is both a RAAF base and international airport. CTAF remains tower frequency so you know when it becomes class C, if for example you are doing circuits.