JR are dropping RC!

Guest FlyingPhil

Guest FlyingPhil

I see a report that JR propo have given a media release in that they are concentrating on commercial Uav operations and dropping RC for a undetermined time. Times must be tough in Japans RC world. They've been around for 40 years!! Heli's appear to be pushed out for multi rotors and the JR Radio section is closing up. OMP have been released the notification in the latest Airborne mag too. Shame. Good gear.

Announcement (Official Post and private communication) | Japan Remote Control CO.,Ltd

Guest FlyingPhil

Yes RM, never disappointed in quality. Hope they come back but it would be tough economically.

Guest FlyingPhil

Maybe Kyle can chime in. Curious to hear what some of the the 'heavy hitters' in Aussie RC (turbines, scale) use and think of it's demise

Used to be you were either JR or Futaba. Me, JR.

It was all quite expensive gear, but it was accepted as the required cost of running RC.

When the chinese and internet ordering came in heavily 10 or so yrs ago, the quality was quite poor and the reputation of the Japanese "majors" remained intact.

Now some chinese brands have built up their quality and reputations and I'm surprised the (more expensive) Japanese companies have lasted this long...

One thing the chinese did do was push the development of RC technology I think.

• Agree 1

That is a great shame, they have always been high end gear.

They were not able to compete with the internet sales model against the chinese when most of the JR sales were through the model shops which most have disappeared. The cost was too high but the quality was worth it.

I have them in large scale aircraft and a ballistic 1/5 scale Baja and love them.

But I must admit to a real affection for my ancient Multiplex gear, great servos and radios for the crystal set. My aerial is about 6ft long range is far further then eyesight.

At least JR are doing UAV, so all is not lost.

The press release linked in the first post is dated August 2016. Alot has happened since then.

JR are pretty much gone bust. However I have heard that someone else is going to pick it up. Almost none of the RC hobby gear has been made in Japan for sometime. Most has been manufactured in Malaysia for a while now. I know all of my current JR gear is Malaysian & I have had no issues with quality. If someone picks up the JR line and continues to use the same Malaysian factory, we as end users should not see any change in the quality we have long been familiar with.

I really hope that happens, I have been a user of high end JR gear since the early 1990's.

Guest FlyingPhil

Yes Mick I agree, whilst not into the same higher end stuff like yourself I also used JR almost exclusively. Futaba and Spektrum have now crept into my current planes. That's business these days I guess. Next they'll be moving Ford and Holden off-shore .... oh wait!

Jr used to make the Spektrum gear in the early days then they had a disagreement over how they wanted to go forward with DSM and DSM2. Spektrum did great marketing and also made sure the manufactured quality was as good if not better than JR. Horizon Hobby is a massive company and had the capital to do so. Also JR went in a different direction for their RF technology. The main players also bought out a lot of new functions. The japanese mindset also played a part in their demise. The japanese never want to admit they made a mistake or a error they alway want to save face. Its the same mindset Icom had and still has, Icom made some stupid decisions and would never admit it and if they had a problem with a new radio they wouldnt tell anyone but fix it quietly in the production. Futaba and Jeti and Spekrtum are the big 3...Graupner is still there but really only based in Europe.

I have heard also that JR gear maybe ressurected by a consortium based in malaysia but nothing confirmed yet.

Maek

Multiplex Germany is still going strong and with the money of Hitec.

But they are a very premium product make a JR seem little a paupers option.

Want 16 channels ? Check

Want great ergonomics? Check

Massive range? Check

1200 euros just the radio.

Ouch

• Agree 2

The jeti is a better radio than the Multiplex but about the same cost though . I used PSA radios all those years ago...1974 I got my first one from Jim Smith but once I got into ducted fans then I went to JR...I have a 10X and a 12X

It is a shame JR Radios are gone, have owned a few over the years, the older brushed alloy box TX's with mechanical trims etc were great and the newer ones with digital trims and LCD screens probably had easier menu access than the Futaba versions of the period. My first radio was a G45 Space Commander 4 ch set in 1974 but most of my systems since the have been Futaba, Currently use a 12MZ for most of my models but also have a MX-22 Graupner TX which was the JR 9X TX with different software....took a while to learn the menu options but is more capable than the 9X. I have owned a few high end Sanwa radios too, really liked them. Had 2 of the Module 9 radios which had many channel mixing options adjusted by a dozen or so trim pots behind the TX back cover, solid and heavy as a brick those Tx's. The newer Digital Sanwa Tx's had the best menu access in my opinion, it was like a basic spread sheet. Left or Right arrow keys to access the control/Ch column and up or down arrow keys to access the available options for that control/Ch function.

Wayne.

• Caution 1

• 4 weeks later...

There was a post on Facebook a couple of days ago by RC Depot in Japan announcing that they are taking on JR with production to resume in the existing factories & contractors. Initially they will produce DMSS receivers, followed by their high end servos and eventually transmitters. Distribution will be through JR's existing dealer network.

Happy Days!!!

• Like 1