Wings over Illawarra 2017

For those thinking about driving to WOI ... Good luck. After going to the Canberra airport open day last year I don't think I will be attending any air show unless I get there by going over the fence at 50 feet AGL.

I spent more time in traffic than actually at the airport and I live quite close by

For those thinking about driving to WOI ... Good luck. After going to the Canberra airport open day last year I don't think I will be attending any air show unless I get there by going over the fence at 50 feet AGL.I spent more time in traffic than actually at the airport and I live quite close by

Do what the locals do and what is recommended on the website. Park a suburb or two away and catch the train in. The station is about 100m from the entrance.

Do what the locals do and what is recommended on the website. Park a suburb or two away and catch the train in. The station is about 100m from the entrance.

I will take the train from Sydney. I would rather fly in but i cant understand why the Airport would be closed from 1030 to 1630.

Surely there could be a window after lunch to give people who want to get away, an opportunity to leave and arrive before last light?

And if the weather happens to turn, then again, people would want to leave while they can.

A six hour airshow is too long in my opinion. Keep it shorter and sharp to maintain the publics interest.

I think that the restrictions are a disincentive to a lot of Pilots, interested in others opinions.

I'm pretty sure it's closed for practice sessions between 1200 and 1600, so only 4 hours.

G'day Rich, according to the website, air display times are 1030 to 1700 both days and any aircraft arriving after 0945 may be turned away .

• Informative 1

I am going to fly the Auster in on Sunday but given the fact that the airshow now goes through to 5pm I am resigned to leaving it outside overnight. Was initially listed as finishing earlier on the Sunday

From post #9 Well that would have buggered me from Canberra. And anyone who isn't up for a bit of night flying. I know of two people going from Canberra. One got night current for WOI and one got IFR current.

Apart from the sheer fun of banging out some night landings (gets pretty quiet in Canberra after dark) it's a pretty expensive trip if you include the cost of those landings

And i say again, I will get the train and leave when I like.

I cannot understand being forced to hang around until 5pm and then deal with the multiple rushed departures and the added stress that ensues.

If there was a window that allowed departures mid afternoon, I would fly in, but no way with the restrictions as promolgated.

You will get on the train and leave at the convenience of the train driver like every other polite civilized passenger ... unless you are the train driver or you plan to do something naughty to the driver