Insurance for 19 built aircraft

Thanks. I didn't know that. I wish that I could get my little 2 Engine design into RAA. Engines only 15hp each.

I'd love to see some drawings or photos - sounds very interesting. Does your design owe anything to the Lazair concept?

I'm sure you're aware that you can have any number or type of engine if your max AUW is <300kg.

Bruce

Similar in the Engines, but fibreglass, tricycle, low removable wings for trailering, probably using aircraft wheels, hydraulic brakes. Bears more relationship to a Cri Cri. Max speed something over 100kts if weight is as planned. Extensive use of 3d printed nylon. Flaps may end up being nylon printed, slightly heavier than aluminium or fibreglass. Very minimal welding, exhaust and similar parts. It is taking forever, many parts are made a few times before the manufacturing technique produces an acceptable part. I have only manufacturing AutoCAD drawings at present, not side vied or anything like that. At present I am working on moulded wing spars.

Max AUW in 250kg and I did not know that I could have more than one Engine and be RAA. I must get my RAA licence, I only have aGA licence. You have made my day.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Max AUW in 250kg and I did not know that I could have more than one Engine and be RAA. I must get my RAA licence, I only have aGA licence. You have made my day.

Note that the 300kg is maximum takeoff weight. It must include pilot, fuel, & all equipment. There is also a wing loading/stall speed caveat that would preclude the CriCri from the RAA register. I'll dig out the definition & post it later. Or you could find it on the (rather convoluted) RA Aus website.

Your design sounds very innovative. Please keep posting on your progress.

p.s. Here is the CASA definition you need to satisfy.

Unfortunately my design breaches several conditions of 19. Reading t to CASA documents my wing loading is twice that allowed, also I want to eventually do aerobatics.

You should look into VH Experiment Category through Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA). Also you get reduced insurance through a deal with QBe and the SAAA.

That is so cruel:cheezy grin:sometimes I think that an aircraft cannot fly unless we have CASA:no no no:

Without CASA everything could fly ! Probably most safely.

• 7 months later...

From an aviation insurance broker who has done a great job for me previously but comparing it to the RAA recommended broker this was their response;

"Thank you for your email and the attachment. I note that the insurance is placed under the RAAus scheme which is underwritten by QBE and Agile. The way the market is going at the moment with premiums increasing two fold and other underwriters no longer insuring RAAus aircraft I would suggest you renew with the scheme when your insurance comes due."

A recommendation of sorts for PSB and the RAA with a warning for things to come it would seem. My policy only had a marginal increase from last year.

Geoff Tonkin from PSB redid my insurance in May over to the new RAA one and I still have my 2 million for the Pax insurance and it was 500 bucks less than the year before...I was a very happy camper....BUT there are some provisos with it...mine was a rotax engine the aircraft had more than 100 hrs on it etc...

• Informative 1