Aviation fuel sniffing in Arnhem Land sparks health emergency warning

Arnhem Land children sniffing aviation fuel in 'public health emergency'Urk. I cannot imagine the thought processes that lead to doing this to yourself!

The fuels and the engines they are used in are highly regulated. It will be interesting to see what long term solution the regulator will have.

Umm? You have to remember we are talking about arnhem land here. Not Archerfield.

The fuel is not regulated - you can buy it from airport bowser, refueller or roadhouse ( with prior notice mostly). There are drums sitting in sheds and outstations. These kids steal it from the plane tank so it's often not acquired by the pilot from anywhere near where it's stolen so " regulation" is non existent.

The aircraft are parked on the line, parked in a bare spot near the runway or sometimes pushed back under a tree on a dusty bare patch that could possibly be called an apron if you were being generous.

The airstrips are sometimes " regulated" by having a fence around them to keep out the Roos but often nothing else at all. Some strips have a terminal and some facilities - some have a dirt track heading over from the nearest community.

As for doing this to oneself. It's no different to doing any other drug. All have risks, all have some degree of illegality and all are done with no consideration of what it's doing to people's own health.

It's not a regulator ( CASA) problem. It's a social issue of the communities and the individuals.

• Agree 6

I was more thinking about the exact chemistry of 100LL w.r.t regulations. This is, as far as I know, the last fuel with lead additive still in active widespread use. Presumably it's the sniff-ability of the fuel that they are after and not the effects of Lead poisoning (correct me if I'm wrong). But to create new formulations which meet the required performance numbers which don't have lead and are unsniffable will require new investments and regulations or somehow a mass migration off to unsniffable unleaded MoGas?

Opal ( the non-sniffable petrol available through most of NT) is not suitable for aviation engines. I can't recall the issue but I think it's multifactoral. Doesn't have enough octane rating, the stuff in it degrades seals, gaskets or other components. Can't recall exactly - I did know once when it first came in. Most of the small aircraft in charter category have Lycs and conty's and can't run on anything other than avgas.

The aviation fleet using avgas is too small to sustain any major changes in engine types etc. it will gradually go the way of Europe where engines will be made to run on diesel or turbine fuel but in a place like Oz that will only happen with the gradual attrition of the current fleet not a wholesale legislated forced change to new engines.

As I said this is a social problem and at present avgas is just one of the drug issues it faces. Ice is a far bigger problem affecting far more across a bigger age range and more communities than avgas. But so is marijuana and alcohol ( in some places - many communities are alcohol dry but replacement drugs are rife), narcotics and cocaine apparently aren't as big but still existent in some communities.

I suspect this is a bit of slow news day stuff as it's being going on for more than 20 years or so. That's why OPAL was introduced and avgas has been stolen frequently for about as long. I recall someone got a star picket through the wing tank at Mataranka at least 10 years ago and probably more. Problem may have moved across the territory a bit to the north east.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Can we assume that they all have ASICs?

I don't think an ASIC is needed even to fly in and out of most of them. No RPT, just charter flights for the commercial and government stuff and private flights for flying padre, occasional visitors and the like.

I would be worried about elevator control and hinge damage from them climbing over the aircraft I'm pretty sure if I was caught on camera stealing fuel and tampering with an aircraft I would be arrested

• Agree 2

Saw a news report where they said that Elcho island had now a security guard with a dog and there had been no issues at all since then. sounds like problem solved ( albeit at great expense to us). That's of course ok at Elcho but was also a problem at Milingimbi and they named somewhere else I've forgotten.

Saw a news report where they said that Elcho island had now a security guard with a dog and there had been no issues at all since then. sounds like problem solved ( albeit at great expense to us).

Bit cheaper than the 30 million per year Government subsidy we are paying for to keep the more expensive OPAL and Comgas fuels going.

I would be worried about elevator control and hinge damage from them climbing over the aircraft I'm pretty sure if I was caught on camera stealing fuel and tampering with an aircraft I would be arrested

Valid point Ozbear, but that sort of damage can also happen at Fly-ins. I was in conversation with a mature aged bloke when he suddenly tried to sit on my fabric wing. I believe he was a pilot too.

A thorough preflight may not detect the damage inflicted on parked aircraft by curious visitors when the owners are not around.

• Agree 2

A thorough preflight may not detect the damage inflicted on parked aircraft by curious visitors when the owners are not around.

You guys would cringe and cry if you went to a Chinese airshow.

Read: Kindergarden playground equipment.

You guys would cringe and cry if you went to a Chinese airshow.Read: Kindergarden playground equipment.

A family member was at an art gallery in Beijing to see some masterpieces which had been loaned by some European galleries. He was incensed to see locals actually touching the surface of priceless oil paintings; officials did nothing.

I'm surprised to hear these kids are using Avgas to sniff. Avgas is made from just about 100% isooctane, which is extremely low in aromatics and has low volatility. In fact Opel fuel is made from isooctane (Avgas), without the lead, so as to making sniffing almost pointless. All these kids are getting high on is lead poisoning.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

So where can I get some Opel for my Jab engine? No more lead fouling of valve stems, etc.

The reputation of Opel quality is worse then ethanol blended mogas from what I have heard.

I'm surprised to hear these kids are using Avgas to sniff. Avgas is made from just about 100% isooctane, which is extremely low in aromatics and has low volatility. In fact Opel fuel is made from isooctane (Avgas), without the lead, so as to making sniffing almost pointless. All these kids are getting high on is lead poisoning.

I think you must be confusing avgas with something else.

Its extremely volatile and has a large number of low molecular size components that are quite neuro-active when inhaled. They do have a significant high-inducing effect.

The volatile nature can be seen when you spill some avgas on the ground - it evaporates really fast.

Spill some opal on the side of your shoes and while its not strong it is noticeable for days. Drop it on the ground and its there till you drive away and probably lots longer.

One of the things I really hate about mogas is that if you get it on yourself it stinks for hours but spill same amount of avgas on yourself and its gone in seconds or minutes.

The shell documents available on their webshow show the constituents of Avgas 100LL as :

Contains:

Chemical name Identification number Concentration [%]

toluene 108-88-3, 203-625-9 5 - 25

Xylene, mixed isomers 1330-20-7, 215-535-7 5 - 25

cyclohexane 110-82-7, 203-806-2 1 - 5

Ethylbenzene 100-41-4, 202-849-4 1 - 5

n-Hexane 110-54-3, 203-777-6 0 - 5

Trimethylbenzene,

all isomers 25551-13-7, 247-099-9 0 - 5

cumene 98-82-8, 202-704-5 0 - 0.5

Naphthalene 91-20-3, 202-049-5 0 - 0.5

On the other hand lead poisoning is not high-producing at all. Most people have no idea they have it - when at lower levels (need subtle testing to pick it) or have debilitating not euphoric effects when its severe.

• Informative 1

I agree with Vev. I can't see what high they would get from Avgas. In Canberra, quite a few years ago now, a question was kept under wraps about Opel being based on avgas. (without the lead). They tried to hide the fact of it's origin but it was a fact the fuel didn't have any appeal. Not all servos ever agreed to stock only Opal and plenty of people went south to stock up on drums of the "off your head" aromatics in Mogas .Nev

• Agree 1

You've obviously never seen these kids wandering around stoned out of their heads.

They hang a cut-off soft drink or beer can on a string and hang it under their chin. They put a hundred ml or so of whatever fuel they have in it and breathe it in.

I can attest from medical experience in managing these guys in the acute intoxication phase that they are off their faces, unco-ordinate, slurred speech, often laughing and smiling and when they can, they report euphoria.

Put them on an ecg monitor they are often racing heart rate with abnormal electrical patterns.

When you see them you really are left in no doubt they are high. The obvious reality is that if they didn't get a positive high effect they wouldn't take it. They'd be using something else.

The only plus we used to cynically laugh about was we preferred them high on petrol than when they were drunk. Far less violent.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I think you must be confusing avgas with something else.Its extremely volatile and has a large number of low molecular size components that are quite neuro-active when inhaled. They do have a significant high-inducing effect.

The volatile nature can be seen when you spill some avgas on the ground - it evaporates really fast.

Spill some opal on the side of your shoes and while its not strong it is noticeable for days. Drop it on the ground and its there till you drive away and probably lots longer.

One of the things I really hate about mogas is that if you get it on yourself it stinks for hours but spill same amount of avgas on yourself and its gone in seconds or minutes.

The shell documents available on their webshow show the constituents of Avgas 100LL as :

Contains:

Chemical name Identification number Concentration [%]

toluene 108-88-3, 203-625-9 5 - 25

Xylene, mixed isomers 1330-20-7, 215-535-7 5 - 25

cyclohexane 110-82-7, 203-806-2 1 - 5

Ethylbenzene 100-41-4, 202-849-4 1 - 5

n-Hexane 110-54-3, 203-777-6 0 - 5

Trimethylbenzene,

all isomers 25551-13-7, 247-099-9 0 - 5

cumene 98-82-8, 202-704-5 0 - 0.5

Naphthalene 91-20-3, 202-049-5 0 - 0.5

On the other hand lead poisoning is not high-producing at all. Most people have no idea they have it - when at lower levels (need subtle testing to pick it) or have debilitating not euphoric effects when its severe.

Hi Jab who

I am quite sure about my facts. Avgas in low in aromatics and low in volatility compared to mogas. It contains < 5% of the aromatics (typically <2%), which is what the kids get high on, however I do concede they do not get high on lead poisoning. All of the work and design done on Opel was using Avgas without the lead, albeit the normal mogas automotive additives are included.

In terms of your observations of the residuals from spilling mogas... Mogas has a somewhat wide range of materials and the residues is often the heavy ends that are in the mix as well as some of the additives. The light ends (toluene, xylene etc) will flash off very quickly which is what these poor kids get their high from.

Opel and Avgas is almost all Isooctane, low in aromatics (solvents) and low volatility... Opel as a retail product has made a huge difference in slowing the petrol sniffing use. Unfortunately these kids have found new ways to get a high out of petroleum products, which I do not wish to promote and think it best I not mention here.

Cheers

Vev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hey all,

I live in a remote community, we can only get Opal. It is okay and stories of mechanical woes seem exaggerated as we have no issues with it in outboards from way back to brand new fuel injected jobbies. It is a different colour, smells weird, I think it deteriorates quicker if not stabilised or if left for a few months, but otherwise it is not a problem. We have old 60 series petrols and a 570 Lexus all running on it, we can't spot the problem. A mate recently in a for mentioned community had the side window removed from his plane so they could access his Avgas. Trust those saying it Avgas gets the sniffers smashed, they will do anything for it. We cannot formulate a alternative to every problem. They want to do drugs, be it cava, gunja, alcohol, and the reasons are many and varied reasons, boredom being one, the other is to live in a state of euphoria. With out try to cause any angst, our Rotax loves 95, the 470 Continental in the C182 loves unleaded 91, it runs cooler and we get better economy, both manufacturers state longer oil change intervals on unleaded. The good thing about Avgas is that you can drop a drum of it the bush, and 12 months later, its still good to be used. We stick to unleaded fuels where ever possible and think its great, certainly heaps cheaper.

• Informative 1