Need help

rhtrudder

IMG_0207.JPG.5b793c634a2a6c8dea0dc921b30554ab.JPG [MAP][/MAP]planning on flying into heck field from vic and then back and forth to Toowoomba for the field days .looks like a mess of restricted air space any advice would be very appreciated
  • Haha 1

Most of the red ringed areas between Heck field and Toowoomba are danger areas which you can legally fly through without seeking clearance. You won't be able to just fly a straight line to TWB. Whatever you do, contact Bris Center on 121.2 and request the status of Amberley airspace before you transit any Restricted spaces. The restricted spaces aren't always active and sometimes you can fly through them. Don't try to fly through the CTR though without clearance from Amberley. Study the chart and familiarise yourself with the R area numbers and their lowest levels. Stay below those levels when they're active and you'll be OK.

All the areas except for the CTR have danger areas below them. I would be flying via Boonah or Aratula for that trip and stay below 2500ft for a while on that leg. As Scott said, you can get the status of Amberley airspace, by talking to ATC through the area frequency. Usually it is active between 8am to 5pm daily but it is known to be active at other times as well

So if Amberley is not active it's ok to fly direct, otherwise I should head south to dodge around the ten mile radius

Yes, but bear in mind that the CTR is still C class down to the surface. I have flown that Boonah route a few times, I only have a RPC so I can't fly through controlled airspace. The only other way is via Goodna and staying right of Lake Manchester, much easier when R625A is not active though, it is very tight when it is, the step is only 1500ft. Alternatively you could fly further north and turn west near Dayboro, you have 3500ft to play with and the step for R625C starts at 4500ft The southern route is my preferred way, less mountains.

You can reasonably assume that Amberley is active on weekdays from early to late at night. You can duck around to the south avoiding CTA and staying under the 2500' step. Remaining to the south of Mt Walker. I have threaded my way through there a few times in the Drifter under the step and avoiding tiger country.

As an aside, there is an airstrip called Argyle (private) almost directly on the other side of the Warrego to Farmfest.

Lately there has been a lot of fog/low cloud in the valley in the mornings sometimes not burning off until mid morning.

So if Amberley is not active it's ok to fly direct, otherwise I should head south to dodge around the ten mile radius

Not quite that simple. As someone else said, the CTR is always class C. The restricted/danger areas aren't that more complicated than the airspace around any other C class airport, except that the bottoms of the rings are mostly danger areas that you can freely fly through. The rings themselves are either active or inactive and as I mentioned before, ATC is your friend there. Don't be intimidated by calling ATC. They are happy to help and they would MUCH rather talk to you, than to try and find out who just busted a restricted/controlled area.

The format I use (may not be techically correct but it works) is

Me: "Brisbane center, Legend 8714 request status of Amberley airspace"

ATC: "Station calling center, Amberley airspace is de-active, becoming active at two, two, zero, zero"

Which means the restricted areas are inactive, but will come active at 8:00am local time. Or they might list which restricted areas will be / are active. You need to pay close attention and keep your situational awarness. I usually allow a couple of miles horizontal buffer and at least 100 ft vertical clearance.

• Agree 1

Cut and paste from CASA OAR175.10

YBBB/D612B AMBERLEY MILITARY FLYING LATERAL LIMITS: 27 25 55S 152 25 08E, 27 42 08S 152 32 14E then along the minor arc of a circle of 10.00NM radius centred on 27 38 26S 152 42 43E (YAMB/AD) to 27 44 13S 152 51 55E 27 53 24S 152 45 11E, 27 58 25S 152 40 49E then along the minor arc of a circle of 20.00NM radius centred on 27 38 26S 152 42 43E (YAMB/AD) to 27 25 55S 152 25 08E VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC - 2500 HOURS OF ACTIVITY: NOTAM CONTACT: RAAF DETCDR Amberley

I take that to mean that you have the possibility of military traffic.

• Agree 1

The danger D612B says sfc to 2500 what does that mean, I understand you can fly through D , just wonder why is it designated D,

Looking up that particular area in the prd section comes up with 'activated by notam, military flying' so I would say when active the big boys are having fun at low level. Not illegal to fly through but certainly wise to weigh up your options if active.

IMG_1108.PNG.cb1b60891bfd899d2081958e365604c7.PNG

If you have any doubts, give Amberley ops a call. They are usually more than willing to help, and view someone asking for guidance as a good thing.

• Agree 1

Just clarifying: By "call", I mean get on the phone and talk to them before you go anywhere. Not "call" them on the radio in flight. (Although if you have in flight issues that's different)

Generally very helpful people.

• Like 1

The danger D612B says sfc to 2500 what does that mean, I understand you can fly through D , just wonder why is it designated D,

It's designated D for similar reasons that training areas are given that designation. You need to keep your eyes peeled for other traffic. In that area, a transponder would be a good thing to have on board. If there are any fast jets flying low, they would have more chance to see where you are.

I regularly fly through those D areas and have yet to encounter any fighters doing low level stuff there, but ....

Also, I have heard instances where military jets are flying low level in uncontrolled airspace and ATC make repeated warnings on the area frequencies. I have also encountered military helicopters flying in G airspace and they make frequent calls on area and CTAFs when appropriate. If you're planning to fly through the Amberley D areas and don't have a radio, my advice would be to not go there. If you don't have a transponder, again, I'd say, keep an extra good lookout for traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to complete the trip, left on the Tuesday ,fuel at Dubbo big tailwind mostly 150kn just under 5 hours flying time. Wednesday flying via boona then on to Toowoomba , rough over the hills and landed on the disused sealed strip opposite the field days venue , very handy, flew back to heck field and returned home the next day, thanks everyone for your help .

Yes, but bear in mind that the CTR is still C class down to the surface..

Not necessarily, if Amberley is the same as Oakey, you will hear on ATIS, "control zone and restricted area deactivated, CTAF procedures apply".

• Agree 1