NZ visit in Feb2018 North Island

Kyle Communications

I understand a Rotax at maximum revs and with a good prop gives about 230 lbs of thrust, a bit over 100 kg.

2 x 31 kg = 62 kg. Perhaps a couple of jets, one on each wing, would power my Savannah nicely. Would two jets be cheaper than a Rotax engine?

• Like 1

yes they are about 6K each...but you will need much bigger fuel tanks..they suck up about 1.5ltrs per minute

Ouch! With 4 x 36 litre tanks in my Savannah (144 litres), and allowing half an hour of reserve fuel, I would only have an hour's flying time. I think I will have to stick to the Rotax for now.

That'd be 1.5 litres per minute EACH, 80kts - so unless you're prepared for 180 litres per hour, probably best to stick with the spinny thing on the nose.

That is a lot of fuel. How do they store so much in those model aircraft?

Hi Mark & Denise,

Thank you for taking the time to swing by our place, it was a real pleasure to meet you both.

Hope the remainder of your stay makes for some good days.

Go well & keep in touch,

Bob & Leigh

Hi Bob

Yes it certainly was great to catch up. We both had a great time. We are in Napier for the night at the moment. Will do some touring around tomorrow...have already done some driving around to get my bearings....its a bloody big bay out the front. Have decided to bypass going to Gisborne and head to Taupo for a day or two then maybe Rotorua then back to Auckland on saturday morning. Weather at least is better now.

Stayed with Perry and Janine last night and Peter and Nicola came over for dinner. We had a great meal and really good time. Peter was going to land at Perry's in the morning and I was going to go for a fly with him...was looking forward to dropping in on some gravel bars in the river but sadly the wind wouldnt play the game so we didnt go this morning. I caught up with Hank this morning and had a good chat. Called into Hood Aerodrome to see the vintage aircraft but it was closed ...that was a real bummer I was looking forward to it.

Keep plodding along with your build the hard part is all done :)

Mark

Hi Mark, good call, I'd say, for your remaining time. Sorry to hear the winds refused to co-operate, though. You'll just have to come back!

Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions on the build.

Travel safe and see you again somewhere, sometime...)

B&L

Hello Mark and Denise,

It was really lovely to catch up with both of you. I also valued your helpful suggestions and handy tips.

As you could see today, I am at the very beginning of my Savannah build. I am under no illusion that there is a considerable journey ahead to unite all of the pieces of aluminium in my shed in a meaningful way with thousands of rivets, 'AN' hardware and rivnuts, then fit an engine and propeller and get the ship airborne. I am sure that I will enjoy (most of) the journey itself but I really look forward to the reason why I am building this aircraft: so that I can fly!

Thanks also for the offer to contact you if I get really stuck on something. That is really appreciated.

PS: Next time you may choose to fly to Enzed via Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island and Kerikeri in Mabel.