NZ visit in Feb2018 North Island

Kyle Communications

Hi All especially sav builders and flyers. Looks like the cheese and kisses and my sorry bum are going to to NZ in february around Valentines day weekend the dates are not confirmed yet. I will be going over to catch up with the jet aeromodellers for the ANZAC jet meet at Tokoroa then to do a bit more touring around the north island to see the bits we missed on our previous 2 trips to the North and we have done 2 trips to the south.

I would love to catch up with you guys and if there is anything or interest you may think that we would like to look at especially aviation related. Bungee jumping is off the list but have to admit will be doing some jet boat rides...I love them.

We plan on seeing the west and east coasts...New Plymouth and Napier is where we havent been and of course the Wairarapa isnt far either.

Let me know over the next few months and I will pass it onto my planner...I am just the driver and gas bagger :)

Mark

Hi All especially sav builders and flyers. Looks like the cheese and kisses and my sorry bum are going to to NZ in february around Valentines day weekend the dates are not confirmed yet. I will be going over to catch up with the jet aeromodellers for the ANZAC jet meet at Tokoroa then to do a bit more touring around the north island to see the bits we missed on our previous 2 trips to the North and we have done 2 trips to the south.I would love to catch up with you guys and if there is anything or interest you may think that we would like to look at especially aviation related. Bungee jumping is off the list but have to admit will be doing some jet boat rides...I love them.

We plan on seeing the west and east coasts...New Plymouth and Napier is where we havent been and of course the Wairarapa isnt far either.

Let me know over the next few months and I will pass it onto my planner...I am just the driver and gas bagger :)

Mark

Hey Mark, it'd be good to catch up with you, and we may have some local company for Pete's well-used VG by then. Keep in touch!

Bob

Gidday Mark. Would be great to meet you. I'm 40 minutes (drive) down the road from Bob and Peter. There's a self contained flat here if you want some accomodation. My machine could be flying by Feb with a bit of luck. Your flap brackets have worked out well. Currently fitting the doors. Cheers. Perry

Hi Mark,

We should have a Wairarapa catch up when you are here. If all goes according to plan, my Savannah construction should be well under way by then. I am about 35 minutes drive away from iBob which may put me fairly close to perrynz (who I haven't met yet). If all our Savannahs get airborne, we should be able to form a SWAF (Savannah Wairarapa Air Force) around here. I was the Mule that carried four KyleMark flap brackets into NZ. I believe that by the time we are all flying, we should all have the same flap brackets in place.

I landed (as a passenger) at Hood Aerodrome on Tuesday in a Piper Cherokee. We taxied past fallowdeer's Savannah just before he took off. So far, he is the only flying member of the SWAF. Hopefully not for long. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I look forward to catching up with you next February!

Guest alpipete

Whakatane at Feb is warm and sunny,we are on the east coast and have a great crew of rec pilots,one hour from Rotorua and Tauranga.Some of our guys would undoubtably would take you for some scenic flying in the beautiful Bay of PlentyWe are all located at the.Whakatane airport and our resident club tenant WILLY should be there to greet you.Always some body there on Sundays as we do most of our flying then.Keep me posted and I will arrange for you to meet and greet when you know a date. Cheers [Pete

• 6 months later...

Well about 4 weeks to go. Really looking forward to going there again. We land in Auckland about lunch time on the 8th feb and leave on the 17th about 4pm. Not a lot planned except Tokaroa although that may change a bit depending on what is happening at the jet meet there. Our plan is to head towards New Plymouth first then down the coast road to Palmerston possibly down to Wellington or close then to the Wairarapa and up to Napier. possibly Gisbourne across to Whakatane then to Tauranga or Rotorua possibly stay in Hamilton the last night before heading back to Auckland on the last day.

Cant wait to catch up with as many of you guys as I can while I am over there. The mrs is the entertainment director I am just the cab driver :) she has a few things planned for us along the way...especially jet boat rides...I love them but as usual we dont have too many solid plans as we like to be flexible when we travel

Mark

Masterton is home to Peter Jacksons airplane collection.

May be worth a stop, especially on the weekend if weather is fine.

Sport and Vintage Aviation Society were based there too. Believe they still are.

Sounds like it would be a good for a look....I was told he had a collection down there. Hopefully its a public access one.

Does anyone know where that Rans S20 Raven was in NZ? probably on the south island knowing my luck

Hi Mark. I'm between Featherston and Martinborough. Nearly finished my build. Pete flies in here occasionally too when he's not working. We have accomodation if you wish. My mobile number: +64 211845791. Cheers. Perry

Guest alpipete

Hi Mark you would be welcome at the Whakatane Aero Club just ask for Willy Bakker as he resides in our club rooms.He could arrange a scenic ride with one of our club members, we operate every Sunday when fine.Sorry I will not be there to greet you as we are off to the South Island in motorhome.Going to do some gliding around the Alps and generally fossiking about till the Wanaka airshow then on home.Regards Pete Mullooly

Bugger...just found it...its in Southland

You may be referring to the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre in Blenheim (South Island), but he also has the Vintage Aviator Museum in Masterton on the North Island.

RGMWA there is a flying Rans S20 in NZ...I just found the pic on it in the S20 thread..its on the south island...would have been nice to see if I could get a fly in it but not going to the south island this time. Certainly will be having a good look at Blenheim next time we go though.

Mark - visiting the North Island only really isn't good enough - there is the South Island as well. We would love to see you at Rangiora in Canterbury so that we can meet the guy who builds the ignition modules and supplys them at considerably less than the outrageously-priced Rotax product. Rangiora is also the centre in the South Island of Savannah builds with a very active local agent. Pity you cant have a meaningful discussion with she who must be obeyed to extend the itinerary but I guess its all booked already. Maybe next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hank we will be basically travelling all the way through the area..what town are you in?

Hi Mark, I am in Carterton. There are three Savannah builders currently, and I intend to start my one soon (the kit has arrived but the shed took much longer to build than anticipated 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif). So, by the end of this month there should be four active builders in the Wairarapa. Perhaps we could all meet in one place, if that helps? Because of my work commitments that means either mid-to-late afternoons, most evenings or Saturday.

When are you likely to be in the Wairarapa?

Microman

This will be our 5th trip across the ditch been to the north and south twice. NZ is bigger than most people think. Its 1000 km long the south island although its funny we think nothing of driving 3 or 500 km in a day here but over there most were blown away we were driving those distances in a day. My farm is 300km from home and I do that after I finished work for day. You never know we may nick across but I dont think we will have the time. But the Mrs is talking about late this year going back to the south island again. Flights are so cheap and so is car hire. I think total for both of us was $790 return to auckland via Virgin and a corolla sedan was $420 for 9 days with full no excess insurance. Thats just crazy prices.... and of course our dollar is about 10% better than yours at the moment so its even better

Hank first few days will be on the west coast. Will be expecting to be in your area earlier the next week so probably an evening would suit. I hope to catch up with all of you over there. I am really looking forward to meeting the other guys who are building as well. You have been to my place twice Hank so I have to return the favour :)

• Like 1

Hank first few days will be on the west coast. Will be expecting to be in your area earlier the next week so probably an evening would suit. I hope to catch up with all of you over there. I am really looking forward to meeting the other guys who are building as well. You have been to my place twice Hank so I have to return the favour :)

I look forward to It!

• 4 weeks later...