'Quirky' Historical pictures.

The fine photo archive, Shorpy, provides some of the best, historical, and often quirky photos, of any website I've found.

There's not a large emphasis on aeronautical photos, but there are some gems there. "Airplane" as a search term, finds quite a few.

Here's a good contribution for quirky aeronautical photos - the 1935 Waterman Arrowplane (also called the Waterman Arrowbile).

Flying Flivver: 1935

You can get an extremely large, full-size version of most of the photos on the Shorpy site, by clicking on the "view full-size" link.

Waterman Arrowbile - Wikipedia

Of course, the Arrowplane had a steering wheel, just to make car drivers feel right at home. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

And true to "flying car" form, only five were ever built, and the sales take-up by the enthusiastic public was rather, errr, limited, shall we say ...

• Informative 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fine photo archive, Shorpy, provides some of the best, historical, and often quirky photos, of any website I've found.There's not a large emphasis on aeronautical photos, but there are some gems there. "Airplane" as a search term, finds quite a few.

Here's a good contribution for quirky aeronautical photos - the 1935 Waterman Arrowplane (also called the Waterman Arrowbile).

Flying Flivver: 1935

You can get an extremely large, full-size version of most of the photos on the Shorpy site, by clicking on the "view full-size" link.

Waterman Arrowbile - Wikipedia

Of course, the Arrowplane had a steering wheel, just to make car drivers feel right at home. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

And true to "flying car" form, only five were ever built, and the sales take-up by the enthusiastic public was rather, errr, limited, shall we say ...

Thank you Mr. Track Sir !. Interesting site that, now bookmarked.

Appropos your 'Flying Car' remark about the American public feeling at home with a 'Steering Wheel' control column; I must admit to some initial derision when I had a ride in my first ever Cessna type, at age 14, after winning a flying lesson in a newspaper competition. I got the feeling that I was the only one who bothered entering ! After flying with 'Sticks' from a tender age, I thought that the C-150 Yoke was a bit 'Girly' and the Instructor agreed,. . . making a very similar comment about yanks and steering wheels asking, "Have you ever seen the size of the bugger in a DC3 lad ? ? ? " I remarked that I had not.. . .

Phil.

I love this photo, from 1911. You should never, ever, complain about economy seating, ever again!!

And steering wheels! - This, sir, is the finest steering-wheel model, currently available! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Come Fly With Me: 1911

The aircraft is a Rex Smith biplane, powered by a 2-stroke, 6 cyl Emerson engine of 100HP.

This aircraft was apparently based on a Curtiss design, particularly the Curtiss Model D.

Only one Rex Smith biplane was ever built, but it apparently continued to provide reliable flying for some time.

No doubt it was eventually written off in a crash, probably before WW1 even started.

Note the shoulder-operated levers that controlled the inter-plane and trailing edge ailerons.

It appears Curtiss designed and utilised ailerons because the Wright Bros patents precluded him from using their patented wing-warping design.

• Agree 1

comment about yanks and steering wheels asking, "Have you ever seen the size of the bugger in a DC3 lad ? ? ? " I remarked that I had not.. . .Phil.

Capt. Oveur: You ever been in a cockpit before?

Joey: No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.

Capt. Oveur: You ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote from "Flying High"

• Haha 2

I don't give a toss how old the plane is mate. . . . the first ( And ONLY the second ) Military Jet fighter ride I've ever had was in an EE Lightning. . .mentioned before in these pages. . .I was a 14 year old Air Cadet and I barfed me ring up. . . . I did not enjoy it at all at the time, but I'd like to do it again with what I know now. . . . . .The first time was fcuking terrifying but now. . .it would be just PURE orgasmatronic mate. . . .

You lucky, lucky, bastard! My chance at Coltishall was stymied by the aircraft going u/s at the last moment.

You lucky, lucky, bastard! My chance at Coltishall was stymied by the aircraft going u/s at the last moment.

Likewise, my chance for a flip across half of Canada in the backseat of a T33 Shooting Star whilst on annual leave as a lowley LAC in the RCAF was thwarted by not holding a 'chit' proving my having done the altitude pressure testing. Offer of back seat on Friday aft @ 15:00 for jet trainer leaving at 07:00 next morning - safety section at the base shut down at 15:00. Have spent the remainder of my days being pissed off at someone. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Riley

Commiserations mate,. . . at least you dodged the opportunity too nearly choke to death on your own vomit inside a well fastened Oxygen mask ! !