Ornithopter

Steve L

Don't be a spoilsport, Nev! Material science is still in its infancy. Who knows what lightweight, super strong, fatigue-proof stuff will be available to designers in a few short years. The real revolution will start when biochemists learn how to grow oversized, self-repairing feathers.

I think it would need a 100 hourly with extensive NDT every circuit Nev. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

The one I posted was 42kg of carbon fibre, foam and balsa, no fatigue ever in any of that.

Any idea of the materials in the OP one?

From the amount of visible flex I'd doubt it is metal.

It's easy to laugh at these attempts but there's a 'swimming' submarine I know a lot about, that emulates a shark and is more fuel efficient than a similar prop driven submersible. Still plenty of things to perfect though ...

Yea true Heads, I guess with all the effort and huge cost of a venture like this there must be a scientific gain somewhere and you gotta admire that. To me and I guess many pilots it appears not to make sense and doubt it will ever fly safely and economically. The one you posted was a bit more sensible which also appears Canadian. And your right pretty clever.

• Like 1