Which iPad for OzRWYs?

Haych_Bee

Gidday, just found this site & thought it looked worthy of my attention... (I'm a new pilot of 250 hours, RA + RPL, not far off PPL)

I'm about to subscribe to an EFB, & am leaning towards OzRWYs.... I dont have an iPad & will be buying one for aviation use...

My question is... which iPad should I buy?

Check out the FAQ section on OzRunways website. I am pretty sure they address this.

Thanks!

I've found the answer to my question in the FAQ's on the OzRWYs website, as you suggested.

Thanks again H.

Gidday, just found this site & thought it looked worthy of my attention... (I'm a new pilot of 250 hours, RA + RPL, not far off PPL)I'm about to subscribe to an EFB, & am leaning towards OzRWYs.... I dont have an iPad & will be buying one for aviation use...

My question is... which iPad should I buy?

Whichever one you get, make sure you get a data one, you know the type that can take a phone sim card?
  • Agree 1

You can also go Android. RWYS works fine, Im told there are some feature limitations not yet ported, but nothing major, I certainly dont notice.

Dont know why people persist with ipad myself. The lockin to the Apple 'ecosystem' that severely constrains interoperability across any other platform is enough reason for me to never touch their products.

Most Android tablets are far cheaper too than the ridiculous premium for Apple.

just my 2c...

enjoy

Ramjet

• Agree 4

If you're on a budget, I still use my original iPad - an iPad2 (not an Air2), and it still works no worries at all. If you can find a way to claim it on tax, then get the newest one you can afford!

• Haha 1

Does anyone know if a "non-data" wifi tablet running Ozrunways can be hot-spotted to a phone with data?

Yes thats the way I used to run it

• Agree 1

You can also go Android. RWYS works fine, Im told there are some feature limitations not yet ported, but nothing major, I certainly dont notice.Dont know why people persist with ipad myself. The lockin to the Apple 'ecosystem' that severely constrains interoperability across any other platform is enough reason for me to never touch their products.

Most Android tablets are far cheaper too than the ridiculous premium for Apple.

just my 2c...

enjoy

Ramjet

I'm an Android user through & through!

My LAME uses OzRWYs on Android... he tells me that some of the features are not as developed as on the iPad version (that a number of the other pilots in our club use...)

On this information alone, I've decided to go with a new iPad.... they should drop in price soon, with the release of a new operating system (11) in spring

Does anyone know if a "non-data" wifi tablet running Ozrunways can be hot-spotted to a phone with data?

The OzRWYs FAQ sugfest that this will drain the battery of your phone.... that's OK if you have it on charge in the cockpit

It's wise to have phone and iPad on charge, because nav aps chew the power. My charging system never caused problems until yesterday. I went flying with a group and they couldn't hear me- all my transmission were noisy. The noise disappeared when I removed a cable that I'd just installed to charge my GoPro.

I have a older aircraft without a plug for charging. What I do is have a recharge pack in the plane with me when I fly. I flew from Narromine to Coominya and still landed with plenty of charge with that setup.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Ill just be the plus one for the android tablet. Over the weekend I ran both the ipad version and the Android to compare features - as a PPL pilot I don't think there was anything on the iPad version I missed on the Android version.

The wind from forecast is nice in the plan (which android doesn't seem to do) but it really didn't take long to enter manually - and it had the added bonus of forcing me to interpret and read the forecast - I don't see this as a bad thing at all.

The Samsung Tab A 7.0 suits my needs and its cheap at $169 from Officeworks (with GPS etc)

• Like 1
  • Informative 2