10 ft 5 in landing.

red750

There's a fair amount of head wind there. Without taking it into account you don't get a valid result . You can take off and land behind where you took off from without a circuit if the wind's strong enough. If you land going backwards don't expect to be able to control it. Just ONCE I've needed two wingmen to keep the plane A DH 82 Tiger Moth on the ground after landing it on the wheels,( not 3 point) with power still on.. I had no radio and they had enough nouse to know I needed them. Don't do that stuff intentionally ,though it's good experience, but not real safe. Nev

There's a fair amount of head wind there. Without taking it into account you don't get a valid result . You can take off and land behind where you took off from without a circuit if the wind's strong enough. If you land going backwards don't expect to be able to control it. Just ONCE I've needed two wingmen to keep the plane A DH 82 Tiger Moth on the ground after landing it on the wheels,( not 3 point) with power still on.. I had no radio and they had enough nouse to know I needed them. Don't do that stuff intentionally ,though it's good experience, but not real safe. Nev

I wonder how many spectators would have that knowledge these days?

• Like 1

Probably very few Turbs but they were different times. I think people had a deeper involvement back then and watched what's going on. If a bit of a front came through people would say so and so's out in the training area, or Coming in from Mudgee etc. We had better keep a look out for him/her. Nev

I wonder how many spectators would have that knowledge these days?

I'm lucky to have a few of those "oldies" here at Shepp.

On my return from holidays I squeezed in just in front of a thunderstorm located over Wharing which was to be the alternate if winds were too extreme.

I had a phone call from one of the guys as I passed Echuca eastbound to say it was blowing a small gale and they would be ready to wing walk me when I landed.

Fortunately, the wind was 30 knots /200 degrees so pretty much from due south despite the strength. Apart from being blown downwind on base it went ok. A lot of wind shear over the damned factory they allowed on mid-final for RWY 18, and a lot of power to maintain some headway (no glide approach).

I had so little forward speed I felt I was hovering and a quick glance at my GPS showed a ground speed of just 8 knots before the flare. I landed and stopped on the keys which was pretty wild. The hangars gave me some shelter and I was able to turn off at the first exit into the taxiway.

1600 miles, mostly with strong cross-winds without breaking anything...must be doing something right!

Lovely little aeroplane 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Kaz

• Like 3