Honda Viking 170hp engine in Jab.

adrian222

Nev has raised some good points. Automotive engine designs change rapidly and frequently, often to a completely new design, and the Japanese are amongst the worst for this technique.

You could buy one particular model of vehicle engine, and find it's utterly obsolete by the time you get your kit build finished and airborne.

In addition, it's well known that vehicle manufacturers make very little money out of new vehicles.

They load up the spare parts prices to make their profits - because once a vehicle is built, and out there working, it's providing a nearly guaranteed source of income for the manufacturer, by way of needing repair and maintenance, for 15-20 years.

As a result, automotive engine parts prices are more costly than they should be.

This is exacerbated by "registered design", and patents, whereby the manufacturers have sole right to the manufacture of parts for between 6 and 17 years respectively - thus excluding competition from aftermarket suppliers.

One your engine becomes a "previous model", parts become more difficult to obtain. 20 years is the generally-observed working limit for manufacturers to supply parts - although you can sometimes get parts "ex-Japan warehouse", over that time

frame.

I did find out relatively recently, that 35 years is the absolute limit for all Japanese manufacturers, at which point they destroy all information and componentry relating to that particular design.

When this time frame is reached, they scrap the blueprints, destroy all parts records, and send to scrap, any unsold parts or components left on the warehouse shelves.

• Informative 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have a 1988 hilux here on the farm, as to getting parts it is actually easier now than when it was brand new because the availability of after market parts. Plus I can do it online with the push of a button.

• Agree 3

Adrian, your Hilux parts are available only because aftermarket manufacturers seized on the Hilux as a suitable market to supply, simply because of the vast number of Hiluxes built, and the helpful feature that other Toyota models shared components with the Hilux (4Runner/Corona/Celica/HiAce - and even the Dyna and Stout and Lite-Stout, in earlier models).

Aftermarket suppliers will only manufacture fast-moving and commonly-required parts - if you want some part that is a slow seller, you're stuck when it comes to older models.

These days with CNC machines and even 3D printers spare parts aren't a problem as it use to be.

Try a quote on a CNC and printed water pump or similar and sit down first. What is possible and what's economic as a finished ready to use part are very different.

They load up the spare parts prices to make their profits ..... Adrian, your Hilux parts are available only because aftermarket manufacturers seized on the Hilux as a suitable market to supply,

Oh yeah right, go price some Rotax or Lycoming parts

I owned mechanical repair workshops in Logan, a demographic that owned lots of old dungas and never had problems buying parts for anything.

Stick with the weight and water cooling hassles for automotive engines, it's the only arguments against.

I believe the 1.0 litre ecoboost Fox engine has won engine of the year for 5 or 6 years running...or something like that anyway...

Actually the Fox is within reasonable limits for RAA craft.

Oh yeah right, go price some Rotax or Lycoming partsI owned mechanical repair workshops in Logan, a demographic that owned lots of old dungas and never had problems buying parts for anything.

Stick with the weight and water cooling hassles for automotive engines, it's the only arguments against.

Actually the Fox is within reasonable limits for RAA craft.

Right so the intent of this thread was to talk about the Viking engine (or any automotive engine) and who would fly behind one, not weight or reliability . So I ask the question who has flown behind the Viking and how impressed or not impressed were you? What was the performance, NO here say or second hand info just facts. My Subaru powered Avid is flying well no oil consumption, runs cool, has not needed any mantainence other than servicing, is economical and parts are still available at a reasonable cost. Yes I would fly behind a Honda Viking and I doubt (if my experience is any thing to go by) any mantainence of any major form would be needed for the life of the airframe . Auto engines out last the body of the car they are in .

• Like 1

Auto engines out last the body of the car they are in .

While I agree that car engines are good and I would expect them to outlast an aero engine the only time I have had a car engine outlast the car body is when the car has crashed.

Although I guess it depends on what you call 'out last', I am assuming that you mean when the engine has a major failure requiring a rebuild?

• Haha 1

While I agree that car engines are good and I would expect them to outlast an aero engine the only time I have had a car engine outlast the car body is when the car has crashed.Although I guess it depends on what you call 'out last', I am assuming that you mean when the engine has a major failure requiring a rebuild?

Out last is just that, last longer than the body. Most people trade their cars long before the motor is any where near worn out ,the body’s on the other hand are starting to feel very tired . Unlike aero engines mantainence is usually poor for some time . But we drift again, where are the alternative auto engine pilots. First hand info

• Agree 2