Accident at Yarrawonga

Little information available but Accident report states

27-11-2017 18:30 781 / WM VIC Accident Yarrawonga Airfield P&M Quik GTR

Pilot elected to land ahead of a storm front moving through the area. Pilot experienced turbulence due to a gust front (which are known to extend many kilometers ahead of a storm cell) Pilot experienced severe turbulence during late final and roundout causing impact with runway. Aircraft damaged on impact.

Pilots should familiarize themselves with the gust front phenomenon and adjust landing decisions accordingly. see -

Without trying to sound cynical about this event as I don’t know the exact circumstances

Unless your running out of daylight, fuel or it is a huge wide as far as the eye can see storm, you have ample air away from it until it passes giving it a wide berth in the process

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes avoid is the GO. It can take a while to pass and sometimes due to the much higher humidity after it passes if it rained, the cloud base may be quite low subsequently. Watch fronts on your weather data. They are fairly well defined on most charts showing MSL isobars. (Synoptic charts). High level cirrus cloud (Mare's tails) often occurrs about 400Kms before the cold front which usually comes from the SW in mid to southern parts of Australia. Nev

Without trying to sound cynical about this event as I don’t know the exact circumstancesUnless your running out of daylight, fuel or it is a huge wide as far as the eye can see storm, you have ample air away from it until it passes giving it a wide berth in the process

Off Topic Alf but just passed my Cert in the Tecnam, beautiful Aircraft.

• Winner 1

Little information available but Accident report states27-11-2017 18:30 781 / WM VIC Accident Yarrawonga Airfield P&M Quik GTR

Pilot elected to land ahead of a storm front moving through the area. Pilot experienced turbulence due to a gust front (which are known to extend many kilometers ahead of a storm cell) Pilot experienced severe turbulence during late final and roundout causing impact with runway. Aircraft damaged on impact.

Pilots should familiarize themselves with the gust front phenomenon and adjust landing decisions accordingly. see -

I remember many many years ago racing against a Gust Front at Christchurch International Airport once in a C172 I arrived at one end of the 8000’ Runway As the Gust Front reached the Other ! Landed OK but it took about 8 Ground Handlers to Assist Me taxiing to the Safety Of a Hanger ...!