I like the Swordfish. . .

I remember the Stringbag as one for the first 1/72 scale Airfix kits I put together.

I always have wondered why it had a three-man crew, when most other aircraft for similar tasks only had a pilot and gunner.

The stringbag was a most amazing aeroplane so-called because of the many flying wires, landing wires and goodness knows what else holding it all together.

The media article mentions a wind of 70-80 mph which is almost the aircrafts cruising speed!

This was just one of many amazingly dangerous, incredibly brave and no doubt foolhardy attacks carried out by the Fleet Air Arm Swordfish pilots across the Channel, into Biscayne and the North Sea, and around the Mediterranean. To increase their range, some Boffin designed an auxiliary tank that looked a bit like a huge tin cigar and which was inserted standing up in the rear cockpit which was shared by the navigator/gunner. As well as torpedos, they carried bombs and mines, and even flares and wrote a very special place for themselves in history in the process.

Kaz

I meNt to say "thanks" Phil for the post. I've got a great book written by a Stringbag pilot somewhere in my study and it's a terrific read of survival in the face of amazing odds. The Taranto raid was magnificent!

This gives a nice little story on the old girl

Fairey Swordfish

Kaz

I meNt to say "thanks" Phil for the post. I've got a great book written by a Stringbag pilot somewhere in my study and it's a terrific read of survival in the face of amazing odds. The Taranto raid was magnificent!This gives a nice little story on the old girl

Fairey Swordfish

Kaz

Highly probable it is "War in a Stringbag" authored by Charles Lamb Kaz. One of the most reread books from my bookshelves.

A remarkable human perspective from a person who participated and observed so much, and one of the few Royal Navy FAA pilots at the commencement of war to see its conclusion. I wonder if one would have ever been able to buy life insurance if you stated "Swordfish Pilot" as your occupation.

• Like 1

Gotta admit I love the old Stringbag too! But flying them off pitching carriers over a stormy, icy North Atlantic would have taken extraordinary courage. So agree with others here that its aircrew who made it the legend it has become.