Strut-braced Drifter Wing Details

Hi,

I own a Drifter (582) and I am building a Super Drifter with a 912UL as a replacement. I am very interested in the strut-braced Drifter wings and wondering if anyone has details on the design or pictures. It looks like the basic changes (from the wire-braced) are a few more compression tubes, additional internal wire-bracing, and the struts (main and jury). If anyone has any up-close pictures of the SB wing or how to contact the designer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Can't help you with the pictures or contacts. I would mention though that as far as i'm aware the SB's were certified with the Rotax 582. There were three(?) factory built SB's with the 618 Rotax flying with a permit awaiting certification though never ultimately certified. The 618 Drifters could achieve VNE flat out on the deck. The SB Drifters wings were certified with an approximately 60hp 582 engine. Personally I would be cautious using that wing design to have a 100hp+ engine pushing it through the air.

I wonder why you wish to go a big heavy over powered version? Besides the ability to spend a large amount of extra money, what is you rationale?

Several legends of the drifter are on here, maybe they could comment.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical.

If you have a wire braced 582 just put the 80 hp on the back. dont try and change it to a strut based makes the aircraft a lot heavier,DSCF2896.JPG.4a791f4b968a30b307cd03569f367b89.JPG here in Australia it is frowned upon for this reason by the regulating body.

Thank you that is what I’m hearing too. I’ll stay with the wires. I have one Drifter with a 582 and the one I’m building is wire braced but will have a 912UL. I decided to build new to take advantage of the 5 inch stretch. The Drifter is a great flying airplane.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a flying school not far from me that has two wire braced 582s on line - I recall someone there telling me that strut braced versions were not as popular at flying schools due to the fact that the kingpost supports the wings at four points on each wing, top and bottom and at both the front and back of each wing.  The strut braced models are obviously very well supported but in the event of extreme positive G manoeuvres, the wing is only held in place from underneath.  Having said that, both varieties are extremely robust machines and I have never heard of any kind of mechanical failure in that area.

As for the horsepower (gotta love that term) the 80hp is obviously going to give you a brilliant climb rate - I love the idea, especially the factor of the reduced level of 'strain' on the motor during takeoff and climb.  Apparently the BMW flat twin motorcycle engines are getting popular in Europe due to increasingly restrictive pollution regulations - there are a lot of 582 powered trikes over there...

Anyway please keep us posted here in Oz about progress.

Boleropilot 

From memory I think they had problems with the thrust line with increased horse power. A prop to suite the extra horse power is of larger diameter so the engine sits higher to clear the tail boom.

Wayne fisher built several strut braced 912uls powered versions.  He told me the strut braced was much heavier as the trailing and leading tubes were double tubed (one inside the other).

The Drifter is a fantastic fun machine.  The early wired braced Maxairs were the lightest and the most agile and my favourite.

• 11 months later...