Keen to get away from CASA and get into RAA flying

joerow

JoeRowI am off to the Rans factory in mid october for their open day. I am keen on the new S21 Outbound. Have a look at it. You can fit the 180hp Titan in it although I am looking at something around the 130hp. I am going to have a fly and most likely will order the kit. It will go together really quickly as it is all aluminium no rag covering at all. Have a look at the Rans Aircraft Inc facebook page they have construction photos and videos etc. Also their website has a lot of info on it.

C172 or C182 are both sturdy bush aircraft. RAA cat are too lightly built and Can not carry a decent load. I would stick to GA for bush work.

Guest Guest
C172 or C182 are both sturdy bush aircraft. RAA cat are too lightly built and Can not carry a decent load. I would stick to GA for bush work.

Whilst I agree about the 'too light' opinion I sure wouldn't recommend anything other than a conventional u/c, much tougher.

Whilst I agree about the 'too light' opinion I sure wouldn't recommend anything other than a conventional u/c, much tougher.

Had a friend flew a Moonie onto rough bush strips for years with no problems. Howard Hobbs old member for Warrego also operated a Moonie onto bush strips

Guest Guest
Had a friend flew a Moonie onto rough bush strips for years with no problems. Howard Hobbs old member for Warrego also operated a Moonie onto bush strips

They are a tuff machine the Mooney, used to work on them as well as do a few paper runs in them in NSW 30 yrs ago, I wouldn't operate them into very ruff strips though. Little story. Back in the 80's we had a green pilot who was loaded up with papers in am M20J and he landed slightly downwind onto a grass strip, came in a bit hot we thought, he overran the strip, over a ditch thru a fence and wrecked the plane, it did stay upright though...lolol

G'day Joe, and welcome to the forum - if you are looking for something "smaller and better" why not get a Drifter - just about the most Fun you can have with your pants on....

BP

apologies to the sheilas on this thread, from the old non PC BP

Slight thread drift, but are there any advantages/disadvantages to having an aircraft on a Special Certificate of Airwithiness for Light Aircraft vs RAA Aus? I hold a CASA PPL and am weighing several LSA aircraft that would suit us, most flights are undertaken with just myself or with a wife or child so it seems pointless to buy a knackered old 4 seat aircraft on a full CoA.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi joe

if you can make your way down to the Gold Coast you can test fly a Bushcat. Sturdy, can be tail dragger, REALLY roomy side by side and has a higher cross wind limit than many GA aircraft. Only downside might be if you want to do STOL as it doesn’t have slats. Still pretty short field regardless

Thanks danny-galaga. I was very interested in the Bushcat and from what I have read I think it seems a very capable aircraft. I have bought an aeroplane now so I should stop looking and comparing and be satisfied with what I have bought.  

G'day Joe

Welcome to the forum.  You probably have many more hours up flying than I do, so please forgive me if it sounds like I'm telling you to suck eggs.  As a padre I have flown in and out of interesting paddocks quite a bit.  I have a Skyranger Swift, a very simple plane to build and with a 100hp rotax get 85-90 kts in hot weather and 90-95 in the cooler months.  She gets in and out of tight spots easily and although you don't want to build, it is a very easy plane to build and maintain.  It has a good solid commanding rudder so it will go were you point it.  There are a few variants around, the latest being the Swift 2 and the Nynja which has more fiberglass on the fuse than the Swift and the Swift 2.  Some of my mates that have dedicated stol aircraft don't get much better performance than what the Skyranger delivers but their stol  aircraft get belted around much more than my Swift does on turbulent days.  I also believe the Bushcat, which was once called the Cheetah is a copy of the Skyranger.  FWIW

Oops too late just saw you bought a plane.  

Friarpuk 

Welcome Joe, ditto about being a bit late but did you consider a Bushbaby Explorer mk 3 ? I am building an Explorer now. Good performance either end of the envelope. 

My criteria was, Rag and Tube, Tail dragger and folding wings. after studying -- emailing and even phoning a few manufacturers I settled for the Explorer from KFA Africa, and I'm glad I did as Stefan from KFA is more that helpful. Building has not gone as quick as planned but now that I'm unemployed things should move along faster.

I also am GA / RAAUS and presently fly a Bulldog. I plan the Explorer to be under CASA umbrella as long as I can keep my med. which should be getting easier now. 

I'm sure you will like your Hornet.

Cheers Steve