Notice to all members who are Flickr users - URGENT

I am posting this to all Flickr users - Flickr is changing ownership and you only have until 25 May (yes, tomorrow) to act if you don't accept the new terms and conditions. This includes downloading your photos and closing youor account. You should have received an email. If not, the contents are below:  

As we announced on April 20th, Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers. SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. The Flickr product and brand will live on under SmugMug ownership. You will still access the same Flickr you know and love at www.flickr.com and via our mobile apps. SmugMug and Flickr will remain separate brands and you will continue to have options for free and Pro Flickr accounts. Until we notify you otherwise, you will continue to use your current login credentials.

As a result of the acquisition, Flickr accounts will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms of Service for Flickr and Privacy Policy for Flickr. The Terms of Service and Privacy Policy of Flickr’s current owner, Oath (formerly Yahoo), will not apply to the use of Flickr after the acquisition. You have until May 25, 2018 to review SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition to SmugMug’s Terms of Service for Flickr and Privacy Policy for Flickr after the acquisition.

If you do not consent to SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy, you will need to delete your Flickr account through your Account Settings. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from your Camera Roll first.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,

The Flickr Team

• 5 months later...

It is now 6 months since SmugMug took over Flickr. Received an email with an ultimatum - Pay a membership subscription for a Pro account, or you will be limited to 1000 photos. If you have more than 1000 photos and do not wish to have a Pro membership, download and delete the extra photos by February, or we will start deleting them, oldest first. I had 1710 photos uploaded, sorted into subject based albums. I have deleted the albums that will not be added to such as Avalon 2009/11/13/15. I will leave 2017 until I (hopefully) attend 2019. I have retained albums which may have further photos added. I had used less than 1.5% of the storage space we were originally allocated. I have reduced my photo count to 863, so can upload a further 137 before having to delete more.

I'm not as badly off as some who had 20,000 or more photos. The benefits of Flickr were a.) Storage backup for you photos, with the ability to set access security, and b.) somewhere you could share your photos by setting Public access. 

It is now 6 months since SmugMug took over Flickr. Received an email with an ultimatum - Pay a membership subscription for a Pro account, or you will be limited to 1000 photos. If you have more than 1000 photos and do not wish to have a Pro membership, download and delete the extra photos by February, or we will start deleting them, oldest first. I had 1710 photos uploaded, sorted into subject based albums. I have deleted the albums that will not be added to such as Avalon 2009/11/13/15. I will leave 2017 until I (hopefully) attend 2019. I have retained albums which may have further photos added. I had used less than 1.5% of the storage space we were originally allocated. I have reduced my photo count to 863, so can upload a further 137 before having to delete more.

I'm not as badly off as some who had 20,000 or more photos. The benefits of Flickr were a.) Storage backup for you photos, with the ability to set access security, and b.) somewhere you could share your photos by setting Public access. 

Buy a 1TB External Hard Drive, download the files on to it, store it in a safe place.

I have several of them, some remote from the house; if the house goes up in flames or they and the computer catch fire etc. I'm back in business with the lot in a couple of hours.

I have a lot of data stored on various "systems of the age" going back to reel to reel tapes, 8 mm movie film etc.  None of the people who sold the systems had any idea they'd be out of business in such a short time including Kodak (and for that matter my advice above could become out of date in the blink of an eye too.

I haven't mentioned the Cloud, because that is just a server, just a computer, somewhere in the world, which itself could fail, or for whatever reason be junked along with your files.

We have new challenges to deal with; one of mine is to develop an indexing system; in the 1980s we had to keep files small and limit the amount on the tiny hard drives, so the file system had to work a bit like a folder or book system, but we've gone all the way through having to dump files off the hard drive to get the speed back etc. to the global searching we do today where having a filing index which is based on a single subject, is too limiting because with global search you can look for things which may only be peripheral to the subject, and it slows you down to have to go through the search subject by subject.

I

That's fair enough. I've got a couple of external drives. I could also burn them to data CD's. But that doesn't allow others to view the photos. I have a number of followers around the world, and many of my photos have been "faved" by people I've never met. I have linked to like-minded photographer groups, such as Helicopters, Vans RV Aircraft, MG Cars, Holden HQ to WB, Beechcraft Bonanzas, etc. Having to delete these photographs will destroy this. But as a pensioner struggling to pay the electricity and gas, etc., I cannot justify paying for a Pro membership, just as I would love to have a First Class membership here.

OK. I have downloaded the files from Flickr, and have burned the Avalon Airshow folders to a CD, a total of 270 photos. A few samples below. the breakdown is as follows:

Avalon 2007  44 photos

Avalon 2009  10 photos

Avalon 2011  53 photos

Avalon 2013  72 photos

Avalon 2015  91 photos

I have also included the RAAF 100th Anniversary at Point Cook in 2014 - 63 photos.

That's a total of 333 photos.  If anyone would like a copy of the CD for $40, please PM me.

mrrt-and-4-hornets-pt-cook-2014_12896503624_o.thumb.jpg.b8e1626e41a1b4da82b221dad7ea4752.jpg

55-767-skyfox-ca-22-ymav-20070325_8982979464_o.thumb.jpg.ab959144a64476f3539e2ca4940b0917.jpg

gloster-meteor-f8-vh-mbx-a77-851-ymav-20110306_5505474983_o.thumb.jpg.91943615ce17b6325ba81df5bad4834f.jpg

interstate-s-1a-65f-nc37361-jelly-belly-trucktop-landing-ymav-20110306_5505476309_o.thumb.jpg.785fe0508d61355e36a7f3275555e936.jpg

19-8196-sonex-waiex-ymav-20130303_8922379168_o.thumb.jpg.72b05b406503493f03c3775b72599d93.jpg

a68-118-cac-mustang-ymav-20130303_8934957862_o.thumb.jpg.8f828e0866c7a2b6ec59e9acd8d52370.jpg

I use PBase for photo storage, US$23 annually for 2000MB, US$43 for 4000MB, US$60 for 6000MB of photo storage.

PBase uses a simple layout, allows direct linking of photos, and gives photo viewers commenting ability, and variations in viewing sizes.

One has to be pretty critical as to what photos you want to preserve - and the resolution level you want to preserve them in.

Unless you need high resolution for optimal reproduction in large format, lower resolution works just fine on all of todays viewing devices.