Throttle Lock for Sportstar

Hey All,

I am trying to find a Throttle Lock that will fit my Evektor Sportstar.  The ones I have found don't fit my vernier type throttle.   The Sportstars have a rather big end on them, and the locks I have experience simply don't fit around the throttle.  It misses out by about 5mm or so.   Not much, but enough! 

Looking for anything available commercially, or ideas to make my own.

Cheers 

J

Yep!  That's the same size as the one I have - about a 42mm internal. 

My throttle knob needs about 5mm more.

I might have to Fab something up me thinks.

If this is to comply with parking at a security controlled airport, I wouldn't bother. Just buy this trailer wheel lock http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/AL-KO-AL-KO-Easy-Clamp-Wheel-Lock-650300/SPO3537948 from Supercheap Auto and lock it to the nosewheel. I don't know about the Sportstar but it easily fits without coming in contact with the wheel spat/fairing of our Piper. 

It has many other uses too from a chock to a waddy!

Yeah thanks, but I am not wanting to carry any more unnecessary weight in the bird, so I made my own.  Total cost $4.00

Local steel bloke gave me an off cut of 50mm square section.   The bottom left is the throttle lock that I bought and does not fit and I  bought 2 x Hinge Pin Locaters that look like they can be easily manipulated.

image.png.f46fc2bd5bf8974a3ea78e6e68c4af53.png

image.png.ff43160ec88056d294ae733f0cd275c2.png

Re-shapped and I think it will do the job!

image.png.41359e34ba803ea2c928215f31ba5b30.png

Square section cut, and ready to be welded.

image.thumb.png.0d92410c197b552455eda0889ae261fd.png

Welded and now to be cleaned up for paint! - Yeah - my welding is OOOGLY!  LOL!

image.png.73db4cee706493fbdb1d6164855fa66c.png

Dipped in enamel and Bob is your Uncle!   Total time - 2 hours.

image.png.43380e05ace79825a64da5920d71459e.png

Happy!  

image.png.c442ab8f2c5149f2692019918c5df35e.png

Oh... and it's not just at security controlled ADs.  According to Regs, when unattended and not in a locked hanger.  So could be anywhere I guess.

I made mine out of a length of about 18mm square hollow section, cut to length to hold the throttle fully closed,  cut a longitudinal section out to let it slip over the throttle rod, welded a tab on the side for the padlock and there you have a lightweight lock. Except for the padlock which complies with the requirements and is possibly the heaviest single piece except for the engine.

Do you think a battery isolator with key would count?

No it won't.  

I had a read of the regulations and I can't remember it verbatim, but it stated that it needs to not be a physical change to the aircraft, and be visible from outside of the cockpit.

I will see if I can dig them up and post.

On my Sportstar I had a u piece over shaft of throttle with a padlock though bottom half, very simple and effective.

On my Sportstar I had a u piece over shaft of throttle with a padlock though bottom half, very simple and effective.

Hmm.. But the knob on the end just unscrews right?  Then you slip that piece off and go fly!

The knob doesn't unscrew easy as it is part of the vernier adjusting, anyhow an angle grinder will fix most anti theift device !  I did it to satisfy the imbeciles that make rules, I never laughed so much when a group of us had Casa officials looking at our GA planes all fitted with cabin covers and all had the notice that Anti Thief Device fitted and the Casa people wanted to take the covers off but they had no authority to touch and we watched and laughed at their predicament ! All were fitted and we had nothing to hide but they had no authority to remove or force us to remove, was way too funny ! Was when rule first implemented and they wanted to fine people ! Haha ! We were also having a BBQ and drinking, not in any state to play with aeroplanes ! 

As they say, "a lock is only there to keep the honest people out".

I know right!   They have to first get into my canopy.  Then they have to bust the key lock or hot-wire the damn thing!!  LOL!

When all this madness started I made one like Camels for my beech, haven't used it for at least ten years total BS

Since I didn't get it CAR35 engineer approved, would be I breach either way.