GippsAero GA10 Test flight crash

Was Dave Wheatland in the drivers seat this time as in the GA8 that spun in in testing years ago.

Yep - Dave was one of the pilots, apparently in hospital but OK.

He tells a very interesting and humorous tale about the time he bailed out near LTV!

Yes he sure did, I was a Mangalore years ago and he told us the story. Glad to hear he's ok, must have been a shock to have it happens again.   Thanks for letting us know.

fly Tornado suggested they could have been spin testing above MTOW. I think that would be extremely unlikely but certainly may have been at or near gross at an aft CG. That being required for certification I would expect. B

There something seriously wrong with the plane when you both jump out at 5000 ft.

Nope - Dave and his team need to take it to the extremes of the flight envelope for certification, they're called test pilots for a reason.

If you ever get a chance to talk to him about his experiences, take it - his knowledge of aviating is incredible, and he has a way of communicating it with insight and humour.

Nope - Dave and his team need to take it to the extremes of the flight envelope for certification, they're called test pilots for a reason.

How does that change my statement?

There something seriously wrong with the plane when you both jump out at 5000 ft.

There's something seriously wrong with it now!

I assume 5000 ft was a pre-planned decision height, they start much higher and if the aircraft wasn't recovered by that altitude they abandon it. If you're suggesting that's too high, what altitude would you suggest?

I assume 5000 ft was a pre-planned decision height, they start much higher and if the aircraft wasn't recovered by that altitude they abandon it. If you're suggesting that's too high, what altitude would you suggest?

Just a simple comment that the pilots knew at that height that it was unsavable, and there wasn't going to be any chance of recovery so why wait around.

There's something seriously wrong with it now!

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif