Aircraft down in street near Moorabbin.

The airport has been there since 1949, what more can you say except move if you don't like it.

Many years ago on an evening shift in a tower far away, I agreed to take a call from somebody looking at moving near the airport. I answered his questions based on my local knowledge and he thanked me for my help. As a closing I said, "by the way, if you ever call with a noise complaint I'm going to tell you to f**k off". He got the point.

The  "it was here before you were" is valid but it's also reasonable to make sure operations there are as safe as possible. The developers are behind most moves to close aerodromes, with  a big profit in mind . You never will see industrial estates and rows of houses and shops  levelled to make an aerodrome, but cities /towns  need them and they should be seen as a necessary asset  and  an intrinsic part of modern life. not required to be a profit leader . Disposing of assets  like powerlines,  roads, bridges and aerodromes and  ports has yet to prove to be a good idea in the long term. If all infrastructure was privatised even the beach and parks and footpath would be tolled   The army, Navy, Airforce, Police run privately... Hmmm. ..  Nev

Whoever was there first has no bearing on a planning decision unless one has Existing Use Rights then they take priority. After that what matters is the zoning, and if that’s Residential, that’s the end of it unless some dill who doesn’t know planning law goes along with a developer’s rezoning proposal and gives in.

We all know that risk management doesn't come into play on planning decisions, that's why people have been allowed to build on river flood plains for years.

Ah, but when the flood comes the developer, council officers, councillors, and State government - whoever was in the slush pot pays for it.

Ah, but when the flood comes the developer, council officers, councillors, and State government - whoever was in the slush pot pays for it.

Really, I thought it was us poor schmucks that pay for it through increased insurance premiums.