Newbie pilot here

Hello everyone 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

I have just started my journey in aviation and I am so excited to be here. I always had a tendency to flying and started with model planes but after taking a Cessna 172 for a flight with my local club I was hooked and I had to learn to fly, so I have my first proper lesson booked in a Cessna 152 next weekend to really start my exciting journey to become a pilot. I am from QLD in Australia and looking forward to making new friends and connections.

Happy flying 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 4

Hi Nighthawk, welcome. Despite the dot com, this is an Australian site, lots of members from Qld. (Also a lot of members from around Australia and the rest of the world as well.) Enjoy your flying.

Hello everyone 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Hello Nighthawk! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif .........I see you`re up at Atherton! I did a lot of flying on the Atherton Tablelands, from Pioneer Valley, back in the days of the AUF and the Far North Queensland Ultralight Association ( F.N.Q.U.A. )...Any time you`re down on the coast you`re welcome to come in and say hello.

Frank.

Ps, I got my first chance to taxi an Ultralight in Jack`s Stuart`s Jackaroo up on Jim Sabin`s strip at Malone road, Emerald creek! Back then Jim owned and flew a Cessna 152 from his property...Just wondering if you go back that far.

Hello Nighthawk! 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif .........I see you`re up at Atherton! I did a lot of flying on the Atherton Tablelands, from Pioneer Valley, back in the days of the AUF and the Far North Queensland Ultralight Association ( F.N.Q.U.A. )...Any time you`re down on the coast you`re welcome to come in and say hello.

Hi Farri, yes you are correct I am currently in Atherton taking lessons at North Queensland Aero Club in Mareeba.

We have now all the new Windmills in walkamin which are an awesome sight from the air.

A friend of mine has an ultralight and a landing strip further up from Mareeba near mutchilba and once I have my license I hope to be able to fly it. Thanx, i will let you know when I get down to the coast and say hi... I will have to make pioneer valley one of my stops 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

Welcome Nighthawk!Love the C152, I've had one since 1995.

Sue

Hi FlyingVizsla,

That's good to hear :cheezy grin:I imagine it is like the 172 just a bit smaller and bumpier but I will find out next week. cant wait

Hi Nighthawk, welcome. Despite the dot com, this is an Australian site, lots of members from Qld. (Also a lot of members from around Australia and the rest of the world as well.) Enjoy your flying.

Hi Red750,

Thank you, an Australian forum is exactly what I was after :cheezy grin:I did google "Australian Pilot Forum" but wasn't too sure about the dot-com so thank you for confirming 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif Its always good to mingle with the locals.

Welcome Nighthawk, I also had my first flight in a 172 about 1977, pilot was Chris Conroy. Enjoy

Hi Truster88,

Awesome, I guess you have a fair few hours of flying under your belt now :cheezy grin:Its good to see the plane still going hard after all these years from when it was originally produced (i think 1955) I have a feeling that while I am learning I will be flying the 152 and 172 a fair bit.

Hello everyone 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gifI have just started my journey in aviation and I am so excited to be here. I always had a tendency to flying and started with model planes but after taking a Cessna 172 for a flight with my local club I was hooked and I had to learn to fly, so I have my first proper lesson booked in a Cessna 152 next weekend to really start my exciting journey to become a pilot. I am from QLD in Australia and looking forward to making new friends and connections.

Happy flying 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Welcome Mr. Nighthawk. I too, trained in Australia in the 1970s, on the ubiquitous Cessna 150 ( Old Guy here ) after doing ALL previous training on the Tiger Moth ( DH82A ) in England. One day, there were no C-150 aircraft available,. . I'd done around 3 1/2 hours by then . . and my Instructor decided to take me up in a C-172. . . WELL, I LOVED that aeroplane,. . it was like driving a very friendly Bus. . . .Lovely, stable thing to fly, and it's no wonder that the type was the most produced civil aircraft in the world, for many years,. . Finally,. . .only outstripped by the Bell Jetranger helicopter. . . but that's another story. . .

I hope you enjoy flying the 152. . . .and we would all be delighted to hear about your training progress and your thoughts on this. One thing to remember,. . You may get LOADS of advice and encouragement on this, and maybe other sites, but LISTEN TO YOUR FLYING INSTRUCTOR. Before taking any advice from well meaning mates on this , or ANY other site.

Once again. . . .098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Phil.

• Agree 1

Welcome aboard from Florida USA Nighthawk! You'll find lots of excellent advice from people here who know far more details than I do! However! Being a wild man from the U.S., I do have two pieces of advice for you.

1) Ignore all the rules & regulations of aviation!

2) Never listen to anything I say or do, especially on here or in my videos. Referenced to No. 1 above.

• Haha 1

Hi Farri, yes you are correct I am currently in Atherton taking lessons at North Queensland Aero Club in Mareeba. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Do you know Bill Gronbeck? Bill is an instructor up there!

Frank.

Do you know Bill Gronbeck? Bill is an instructor up there!

I haven't met him yet but heard his name being mentioned. I will have to say hello when I see him.

I haven't met him yet but heard his name being mentioned. I will have to say hello when I see him.

Yeah! Say hello for me also! Bill came to me for his AUF pilot certificate, to add to his GA instructor qualifications, back when I was instructing! he later bought a Drifter and did some instructing with it after I retired and as far as I know, he sold the Drifter a few years ago and now instructs with the club`s Jabiru! he`s a top guy!...If you`re on facebook, you`ll find him there!

Frank.

• Like 1