What to ask when buying an engine?

Marty_d

Fuel distribution is fine at proper rpm ranges 5000 to 5500.

The carbs, inlet manifolds, cam and valves all come together in this range, especially after 5200.

Up to 5000 the front two cylinder run rich and the egt's are significantly cooler but from 5000 onwards they even out nicely.

• Like 1

Alf, they "work" but not as well as they could. They have faults, some of which I have listed as I see them. It's not a complete list... People shouldn't buy them thinking they are "bomb proof". As they have made so many, the engine should have become cheaper as they amortise the development costs.

They are good to fit a C/S prop on.. IF they have had a prop strike they need inspection. Drive runout is not a guarantee. I would like to see a bigger choice. of engine(s).in the market place.. and lower priced options.

Makers have a big job producing something people won't muck up or fatally neglect with the idea it should run for X( X= 2,000) hours without a spanner on it or any checks needed.. Your tele might do that but a plane engine won't. It's environment is too unpredictable. . Nev

Alf, they "work" but not as well as they could. They have faults, some of which I have listed as I see them. It's not a complete list... People shouldn't buy them thinking they are "bomb proof". As they have made so many, the engine should have become cheaper as they amortise the development costs.They are good to fit a C/S prop on.. IF they have had a prop strike they need inspection. Drive runout is not a guarantee. I would like to see a bigger choice. of engine(s).in the market place.. and lower priced options.

Makers have a big job producing something people won't muck up or fatally neglect with the idea it should run for X( X= 2,000) hours without a spanner on it or any checks needed.. Your tele might do that but a plane engine won't. It's environment is too unpredictable. . Nev

Nev,

No engine is bomb or bullet proof, but as expensive as they are they are probably the most reliable overall engine for the Light sport / snowmobile range.

The US military uses them in some drones and have clocked up many thousands of hours on them ( from memory over 10,000 hours) without changing them out.

If we could get a cheap light 120hp turbine now that would be a good thing, other than expensive to buy and a triple fuel burn it would be something awesome.

Alf

Alf, they "work" but not as well as they could. They have faults, some of which I have listed as I see them. It's not a complete list... People shouldn't buy them thinking they are "bomb proof". As they have made so many, the engine should have become cheaper as they amortise the development costs.They are good to fit a C/S prop on.. IF they have had a prop strike they need inspection. Drive runout is not a guarantee. I would like to see a bigger choice. of engine(s).in the market place.. and lower priced options.

I was under the impression that any engine that had a prop strike needed inspection.