Headwind vs. Tailwind stalls

Astroguy

Hey... Just looking for some expertise here. It has come up recently that are little LSA ikarus tends to break a stall much cleaner when doing a Tailwind stall versus a headwind stall. However the relative wind indicated AirSpeed are both identical? Where am I wrong on this? In practice on this aircraft it's seems to be a real affect despite it not making sense. Thanks

I believe Its an illusion astroguy. . . . your in a parcel of air and travelling with it. Imagine a balloon, party or manned it doesn't matter, once off the ground it moves with that parcel of air with no forces in either direction (some argue there's minimal forces) With an airplane one tries to maintain a heading which now relates to to ground speed and/or compass heading. flying into wind only affects ground speed and there's no more forces on the airplane than if you were to conduct a 180 deg and fly with a tailwind, just ground speed changes. Gusting winds are a whole different ballgame. Its best to talk to an instructor which I am not. Hope this helps and if anyone can add to it or even correct me would be much appreciated.

cheers Steve