is there a point of departure requiement for overseas trip?

Peer Gynt

I understand that only the point-of-entry airports can handle the immigration and customs check for someone to enter a foreign country, but if one departs from Australia for an overseas trip, is there a requirement on the departure airport? Assuming a single-person (pilot himself) trip.

Thanks!

IF, you are an amphibian aircraft owner, I expect, You could use the Maritime customs service that yacht's use to leave Australia.

I don't know if there's a customs service in Bankstown airport, ( couldn't even find Bankstown in my old ERSA book.)

spacesailor

YES, you need to go through customs and immigration just like a commercial passenger.

Perhaps with more paperwork and with advance notification.

If going to NZ, I believe when leaving Norfolk island you do the customs and immigration thing. ( It used to be Lord Howe but Norfolk is now effectively Aussie run)

NZ side of things  

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/travel-to-and-from-nz/private-planes/

If going to Indo (Kupang?), ideally leave from Darwin which has customs facility.

This bloke in a Cessna had issues with wanting to overnight at Kalumburu (after departing Darwin customs) for fuel.

From memory they allowed him to stop for fuel but not overnight.

Lots of info in the blog with email addresses and ph numbers.

Don't end up "arrested" over there either....... 

http://theblacksheep-theuglyduckling.blogspot.com/p/outback-and-beyond-2014-take-year-old.html

My good friend Alan passed away a few months back. He was an adventurer who achieved a lot in his C172. There was extortion in Indonesia that he didn’t really report in the blog. Make sure the paperwork is 100%.

My good friend Alan passed away a few months back. He was an adventurer who achieved a lot in his C172. There was extortion in Indonesia that he didn’t really report in the blog. Make sure the paperwork is 100%.

Sorry to hear of his passing. I really enjoyed his blog and he has given me ambition to do similar trips....

• 2 weeks later...

Would also like to ask a few questions about this one! We are planning a trip this Easter and going to NZ anti-clockwise - out of hobart, into Invercargill, up NZ and, out via KerriKeri, then home via Lord howe and Port Macquarie.

Has anyone flown out of Hobart before? Do we need a ground handler or can we make arrangements directly with Customs?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answer. I'm going to pull together all the logistics and share as a resource once done. 

Cheers.

Sophie