Bankstown Lane of Entry

I have been meaning to ask this question for the last month or so.

I live near Carlingford Court NSW 2118 directly below the Bankstown Lane of entry.

About a month ago a seaplane has started to use the lane to travel southbound (spotted at least three times).

In 20 years at this address, this is the only a/c that I have ever seen travel in this direction.

So my question is - are there any circumstances where this lane can be used for southbound traffic?

I have lived under the Lane North of you for over 35 years. I've seen quite a few aircraft coming Southbound in that Lane I also questioned it some years ago and I think the answer I got was that's an advisory Lane not compulsory that someone else might be able to confirm that. Personally I wouldn't go South in it

I think technically it is an advisory lane , as it is entirely within Class G airspace , however , as there are both North and South routings as documented on the Sydney VTC , I think it would be pretty stupid to fly on reciprocal headings to those shown . There are numerous both way low level lanes though , the V1 lane off the coast of Sydney is one such example . I have flown the Bankstown lane of entry a few times , always as per the ERSA , never see any opposite direction traffic , but always aware , and maintain a good VFR lookout .

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Supplementary question - there are no longer mandatory or recommended advisory calls upon entry to either these south or north bound lanes?

I watched a recent You Tube video where a GA pilot made an advisory call at Brooklyn on 125.8 - correct to do, advisable to do, unnecessary?

Supplementary question - there are no longer mandatory or recommended advisory calls upon entry to either these south or north bound lanes?

I watched a recent You Tube video where a GA pilot made an advisory call at Brooklyn on 125.8 - correct to do, advisable to do, unnecessary?

In this era pf "cotton wool"/over regulation by Governments/bureaucracy, it is truly amazing that the mandated reporting system of my training years, erly 1990's, has been replaced by this  "do as you please " approach to communications. I ALWAYS do an  "all stations" call on both entry/exit to the light aircraft lanes of entry. If nothing else its just common sense where aircraft are being constrained (potentially in very close proximity) by vertical & horizontal boundary's into a virtual tube in the sky.

In regard to pilots driving down the wrong way - human error will remain with us, as long as humans are making the decisions - making advisory calls may just alert the receiver/transmitter to a unexpected conflict - dont be shy make a call whenever you feel that it will enhance your/another pilot/ATC's situational awareness.

• Agree 1

Opposite direction traffic is not easy to see  when at the same level. IF you are relying on being seen as a means of separation without any vertical separation, It's only a matter of time before the worst happens. Nev

• Like 1