Flying the heavy metal

Hi .. Theres interesting discussion going on in the news thread regarding the safety of fly by wire control systems..

Here is a video of a bloke flying an airbus and sussing out this phenomana.. I think its the right episode, my connection is a bit slow so i havnt got to the bit yet...

He takes the a320 (i think) down low over the mountains and trys to stall it... check it out...actually all the episodes are worth a watch when ya bored or its raining..

Oh, and yes, heavy metal fans (music) that is Bruce dickenson from Iron Maiden flying these jets.. :thumb_up::thumb_up:...

Guest Pioneer200

This is a great series on the jets.

Bruce is a legend , Run to the Hills,Wasted Years, Number Of The Beast, etc etc heavy classics!!

Oh and yes he flys a 757 :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

lucky bugger

Guest basscheffers

Took a flight on his airline once, wonder if he did the flying!

The stall test is in part 3, actually:

a little off topic, i saw both maiden gigs in syd last feb, brilliant stuff. on similar subject matter, one of my "students" last weekend, is a 767 driver for Hawaiian airlines, and he was saying that his company wants him and a few others to get endorsed on the A330... he is not real keen on the idea, as the airbus does not have an Off button.

unlike the boeing range, even the new 787 has an override function in fly by wire system. so you can overide the computers that wont let it stall, give false speed data to the flight computers, thats sort of thing...

if its not a boeing, im not going...

Guest basscheffers
if its not a boeing, im not going...

Seriously? so you book a ticket and equipment says 738. Then you show up at the gate and it turns out Qantas has swapped it out with an A320.

You would not board?

Seriously? so you book a ticket and equipment says 738. Then you show up at the gate and it turns out Qantas has swapped it out with an A320.You would not board?

So you book a ticket with Qantas. Then show up at the gate and they have swapped out the Dash 8 for a 40 year old Alliance Fokker...is more typical

Guest basscheffers
So you book a ticket with Qantas. Then show up at the gate and they have swapped out the Dash 8 for a 40 year old Alliance Fokker...is more typical

Haha. Surely, that is an upgrade? Tough as nails them Fokkers!

Somehow Qantas always seem to be able to infuriate me. How I miss BA and EasyJet. (yes, I said EasyJet)

Guest Mad Dave

Back to Iron Maiden,

Has anyone seen "Flight 666" it was a very good insight into that whole tour.

Back to Iron Maiden,Has anyone seen "Flight 666" it was a very good insight into that whole tour.

i badly wanted to see that, it was a very short run.. i am waiting for the dvd release though.

as for the "if its not a boeing im not going thing, i have managed to make it work so far, never flown on an airbus yet, and try to avoid flying Qf at all costs,so that leaves Virgin with their all boeing fleet. internationally i have flown with QF, Emerates, Singapore, all on Boeings.

i badly wanted to see that, it was a very short run.. i am waiting for the dvd release though.as for the "if its not a boeing im not going thing, i have managed to make it work so far, never flown on an airbus yet, and try to avoid flying Qf at all costs,so that leaves Virgin with their all boeing fleet. internationally i have flown with QF, Emerates, Singapore, all on Boeings.

Virgin also has the new E-Jets now...I flew on one a few weeks ago and was very, very impressed...much more room in the seats than the 737...Flew premium one way and normal on the return in the afternoon and the normal seating was like premium in the 737.

our old CFI is now flying the Ejet for Virgin, she loves it, and like the boeing, no computers to override you if you really get in the s..., from an engineering point of view, about 10 yrs ago, Embraer bought 2 aircraft over to syd for us to crawl over and make an assesment on, they are built pretty well, and in a conventional sence. alloy aiframe, composite interior and secondary structure, easy access to pretty much everywhere except vertical tail and elevators, but those areas are minimal maintenance anyway.

Guest ozzie

I've flown on both brands short and long haul. as long as the entertainment system works i don't care much. both have ventilation systems that are loud, have cramped leg room. as for all the control systems stuff i have no control over the thing so all i can say is, "bugger saving fuel, i want full giddy up and go on take off", "are we there yet" and "don't stuff up the landing"!!

ozzie

Not sure if it is me or not but I have always found the Emirates 777 to have less leg room then other aircraft that I have been in.

Also there is a news story today about the Fly-By-Wire system:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/comm-military-news/37986-flight-447s-fly-wire-aircraft-technology-safe.html

I like to think of myself as Australia's own version of Bruce Dickinson, although im not all that famous and im not an airline pilot.....Yet:cool:.

After years in the music industry, touring constantly, having women throw their underpants at me, and eating small sandwiches backstage i finally got sick of it all, and started flying..Just like Bruce!

Ive been watching a few more of his doco's, and he's got some golden comments..One being.."i survived years on the road with iron maiden and even a drinking session with ozzie osbourne, but will i survive this"In reference to the NASA G machine..

It doesnt matter what you do with old rock gods,give em a haircut and dress them well, they still look like memebers of spinal tap..

Classic