Qantas mid-flight incident blamed on computer

Admin

I read a story somewhere.Where a Lady crew member, ask a bloke sitting in a emergency row seat a couple of times to pay attention to the safety brief . After the second time of him not listening they kick him out of the seat and told him to sit in another seat.Well the that bloke crack it. No problem, they kicked him off the jet.

I read a story somewhere.Where a Lady crew member, ask a bloke sitting in a emergency row seat a couple of times to pay attention to the safety brief . After the second time of him not listening they kick him out of the seat and told him to sit in another seat.Well the that bloke crack it. No problem, they kicked him off the jet.

My mate had to do the same thing to a PAX except was a Virgin flight.

An investigation into a 2008 Qantas mid-flight incident, which injured 119 people, has found a computer glitch caused the problem.

I'm glad that -as far as I know anyway- there are no computer-controlled, fly-by-wire RAAUS planes around. Can you imagine the damage if the same thing occurred to a light plane?

The report found the plane's manufacturer, Airbus, has since made changes to its computer systems and a repeat of the event could not occur.

I wonder how Airbus can be so sure?

They would modify the programme to ensure THAT particular event should not happen again. I don't blame the pilot for deciding he was not happy and did not want to fly again.( If that is true). There may have been other issues and that one topped it off. By the looks of the ceiling damage the occurrence must have been very violent and could easily have exceeded the capacity of the basic structure to handle it.

The philosophy of the "later" commercial Jets is to build them as light ( and therefore efficient) as possible. The data computers and flight management systems are supposed to keep the plane from being overstressed, stalled etc by anybody or anything, and make it so as a low paid monkey can fly it.( In theory)

People deliberately try to get (book) the seats that are near exits, because they have more leg room. As far as the window exits are concerned it requires a fairly fit amd able person to do what may be required to be done in an emergency and others should not be there where they would impede movement rather than aid it.

Anyone not listening to the spiel on the aircrafts safety features and making it obvcious, has an "attitude " problem, so shouldn't be there either.. It looks "cool" to ignore the talk (they think). Make out you have done it a million times, have thousands of hours more( as a pax) than the captain etc.. Nev

Guest Howard Hughes

There should be more of it!

Was on QF flight recently where a flight attendant asked someone to stop using their own headphones, he explained that using only a single socket (of a two socket system) could cause the system to overheat. The passenger complied but once the FA was gone switched back to his own headphones. When the FA returned he asked the passenger "why have you directly disobeyed a safety directive"? To which the response was "umm, aah, I, I, umm" and sheepishly complied again.

Like I said, there should be more of it!

PS: I don't know if the FA's ascertation regarding headphones is correct, it certainly sounded plausible! But his actions in giving the directive and making the passenger comply were second to none.

They react to "G" loading which the structure also reacts to. They don't have any contribution to the aircraft's structure they just hang on it and as you say are relatively light. Ive never seen trim drop like that so it must have been a good thump. Nev

They react to "G" loading which the structure also reacts to. They don't have any contribution to the aircraft's structure they just hang on it and as you say are relatively light. Ive never seen trim drop like that so it must have been a good thump. Nev

I trust that they checked the entire airframe very thoroughly for any stress fractures after that incident. Now... here's an interesting thought: Where in the world is this airframe flying right now?

[it can't be the flight I was on this morning from Sydney to Auckland because it was a Boeing 767 operated by Air New Zealand]