Bl**dy women!

Mazda

Bl**dy women!

My OH and I had promised a couple of 20-something girls a flight. They rang today as the weather was better than forecast so we said we'd be delighted to take them up. Neither of them had been in a light aircraft and they were a little bit concerned.

Two of them, two of us. It seemed logical that we would each take one of them up for a flight. Both of us are aeros qualified so we could both turn them upside down if they so wished (it's a VH-registered aerobatic aircraft), or we could just take them sight-seeing if they preferred to stay relatively level.

You'd think they would be happy with this arrangement. You'd think they'd even be all for "the sisterhood" and want to fly with a woman.

Not a chance. They chose to fly with the grey haired old fart rather than the young glamourpuss. (Well, maybe that's stretching the point a bit).

The worst thing was the insulting way it was said. "No offence, but we don't want to fly with you, we feel safer flying with him."

OK. Now it's time for the confession. I'm a girl. ;)

I was really, really offended. One of them then asked how long I'd been flying. I said "Fifteen years" but it is actually closer to 18 years. They still didn't budge, they wanted to fly with "The Man." They obviously felt unsafe flying with "The girl."

So I took the car and left them to it for a few hours while I did other things.

The glass ceiling is alive and well, even within the female gender.

As I said ... bl**dy women! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Maybe they have a "thing" for "grey haired old farts"??

I love it when I get on a domestic flight and there's a female pilot, makes me feel more safe knowing there's a women up there to multi task if things go wrong. :big_grin:

Although I have to wonder if they turn the GPS around to face the correct direction? :confused:

Maz, I'd fly with you anyday... and I am a safety freak. (It's my job after all!)

Hope to see you down Melbourne way soon!

Mmmmm, multi tasking... isn't that when people take on more jobs than they can handle, and do none of them particularly well?!!!!!

Don't shoot, it was a joke. OK, so you can shoot if you are multi tasking, as you will most likely miss me!!!!!018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Redair.

Game Men Assuming you are

Haven't you noticed that on some occasions the sky is pink!

And do you realise that this is due to the process of multi tasking!

Some are able to fly and paint or just create a colourful display.

Aren't us Guy's just so lucky we have absolutely fantastic women in our lives!

And just to top it of if these wonderful blessed girls are able to do nine things at once, would you not feel it is best to get out of the way!

Sound good to me, Go Get em Girl's, some of the best pilot's I have ever flown With!

God Bless

Cheers Guy

Guy - you're a big sausage - you know a S.N.A.G. ;)

Now there are two of us. :big_grin::big_grin:

regards

(is that OK? my darling wife..... can you take off the thumb screws now....)

(Please)?

Guest RogerRammedJet

Its not called a "cockpit" for nothing!

I have only ever flown with one woman (of maybe a dozen) that I would consider to be a good pilot - she was outstanding and a damn good sort too!

The fact of the matter is that the non-masculinised brain does not develop the same spacial orientation ability that the male brain does, and lets face it, spacial orientation is a key element of flying.

Flying is NOT about multi-tasking! Its about doing one thing at a time, doing it well, and then moving on to the next thing that requires attention. This can take place in fractions of a second but, none-the-less, this is what's happening.

Most active women pilots seem to be somewhat gender confused anyway (with a rare few exceptions)!

The pax referred to in this thread are simply displaying the good judgement and common sense for which women are renouned!

Rog

Are you trying to say Roger, that men make the best pilots for the same reasons that Labradors make good guide dogs?.

Ie they are too stupid to look at the flashing green man and think "I could beat that".

Davidh

Discrimination. Maybe.

Roger .You are a brave man. I thought women acted on intuition. On behalf of the old Farts, may I register my concern at the use of this demeaning term. It is nearly as big a put-down as you may feel happened to you Mazda, when these young ladies chose to fly with the senior gentleman. Don't take it too hard, perhaps they both have very trustworthy fathers. Redair, I still think you have missed your calling as some kind of wordsmith.. Regards all. You're on dangerous ground..Nev..

Facthunter.... thank you as ever for your kind words. I take it that a wordsmith would be mightier than a swordsmith?;)

Redair.

Rogered Ram Jet.

Just exactly how much "spatial orientation" does one need to conduct a simple joy flight in VFR?

Not like we're talking about shooting a NDB approach in a howling gale at night whilst inverted.

I have generally been impressed with the piloting ability of most women pilots. They seem to be able to get on with it to a better extent then some blokes, with out the distraction of there own ego. All the really disastrous pilots I've met have been blokes.

Regards

Mick

Is this the end?

Greetings each, and I realise that I am rather sticking my head up out of the trench here, but.... having just logged on to check out the latest postings, on what was quite an entertaining thread.... I find that we have been silenced, uugghhhh. What has happened to cause this? I mean the subject, as I read the postings seemed to be full of humour and good natured banter, and not only that, but the issue in question, namely that of those members of the population who are otherwise bodily appointed, was indeed started by one of the aforesaid persons. Surely there are none who could have been so highly offended by the postings as to require the silencing of this thread? I mean, it is a little bit like TV, if you don't like what's on... switch off or tune to another channel/thread. And to say that one gender or another was in any way coming out on top would not be fair.

And, oh dear I'm really going to cop it now, but.... GENERAL DISCUSSION talk about anything you like - start a discussion on any subject you like or join in on others. Now I may be wrong here, but I don't think this one is going to stand up in court your honor. Lets face it we are all different in one way or another, some of us can fly well, others can navigate, some can cook, others can run like the wind and some have the power to silence our thoughts, to crush our spirits and to.... hello, who's there? What do you want? What are you doing with that giant delete key? No, No, No Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Redair would like to retract his last statement and promise to be a good boy from now on before vee send im to zee cooler.

:laugh:MY god it was a joke, a joke I tell you:laugh:

Thread has been reopened - reread the thread in a different mood and thought I may have made a mistake but please take it easy as we do need to encourage both genders here in the forums! :big_grin: besides there are a lot of jokes being made about the male gender in the laughter forum that it can be said that it goes both ways.

Ian, it would seem that "The wisdom of Solomon" must also be added to your list of personal attributes, and despite my sometimes surreal humour, I wish to say that offence to ANYONE is not intended in any of my postings, nor I'm sure is it intended by anyone else who uses this site. So thank you for allowing me my voice, and others theirs, and I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts in running this site.

Redair.

PS, I do still hold my views on multi-tasking, whether it is performed by men OR women.

Over the last few years I've flown with a number of different people and gasp a couple of Female Pilots as well. Yes I am still alive after this brave feet and you know what... I'd almost choose a female pilot over male ones. They "usually" have less ego's, less to prove and are kinder on the aircraft unlike some of the rough and tough blokes. The one thing I have found though is that they do often lack confidence in their skills which is not hard to get them over with a good seasion of throwing the aircraft around and making them realise that they are even better than they think they are!

So get out there and fly girls. Watch out boys they are probably better at it than you... but not me of course!! :)

Adam.

Redair - it seems the best time to catch me is at 3:08 in the morning as I was in a different mood then - moderation is hard as the mood you are in at the time can influence a decision and we are all human. A nice reply will always get me on side but any attack using verbal diarrhoea will always make me dig the heels in. :big_grin:

Have been offline over the long weekend & the banter in this thread has been interesting to read. Have had a few laughs.

Rog,

I read an article once that was an interview with an all female crew of a USAF heavy transport and they were asked how did they feel being in charge of the cockpit. The interviewer was roundly told that it was no longer called the cockpit. On this aircraft it is called the Box Office - The Best Seats in The House. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

I couldn't stop laughing. It was one of the best come backs that I have heard.;)

Forgive me if I'm wrong... well there has to be a first time for everything! but din't the cockpit get it's name from the early pioneers of aviation who considered the bit you sat in, about as large and as comfortable as a pit where cock-fights were held, and has absolutely nothing what so ever to do with any body-parts. The term "Joystick" though, would rather suggest that females may have been flying for just as long as men!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Redair.

2 things.

I have heard but don't know how true it is thet the Joystick was named after someone called Joyce.

Think of all the stupid things you have sen done by pilots, and then think how many of those pilots were women.

Maybe I should have "Box Office - the best seat in the house" for my signature?

By the way, the terms "grey haired old fart" and "glamourpuss" were both given to me by the "grey haired old fart" in question! You know what they say - behind every great woman ... (keep it nice now! ;))

Observation.

Mazda, I'm always suspicious of blokes who put the male gender down, to females. The bigest insult is for the man to think you need the help of a male. In my limited experience, I have found that women are quite capable of standing up for themselves.( As long as someone is listening). Nev..

I am one of those people lucky enough not only to meet Nancy Bird Walton, but also drive her from the airport into town after doing an interview with her.

As a thankyou, I have a personalised copy of the most amazing aviation book ever written;

My God, its a woman!

She used the title because whenever she landed and got out of the AC, that was usually the first words she heard on the ground.

But what blew me away was when we were about to depart the airport, and about to make the left turn into town was her comment; 'watch for the car on your right'. There it was... two Km away. :;)2:

Ben

Isn't she fantastic! I've met Nancy many times and was fortunate enough to be at her 90th birthday. At her birthday speech, instead of just saying thank you, she got stuck into the aviation regulator, Minister (who was there, sitting right in front of her) and so on, saying there was a decline in aviation and they needed to be active and make reforms.

I whinge about the attitude to women pilots now, but imagine what it was like for Nancy - the first female Aussie commercial pilot. Women back then were supposed to be housewives, not pilots. (Then again, maybe not much has changed after all?)