92 members have voted

1. 1. Will the plane take off?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very interesting except for one thing you guys have missed. If the aircraft flys, why dont the navy have conveyor belts on their aircraft carriers. They would be able to do mutiple take offs with the deck sizes they have and smaller ships would only need a few sqare metres of space to launch aircraft. :thumb_up:

You are spot-on, however I regret to advise that Ian, Slarti and I have patented the concept for aircraft carriers ..... and all future airforce bases will be located on overland conveyors in the Bowen Basin, the Hunter Valley & at Hammersley (over which we have also taken leases).

Conveyor belts are the future.

Geeeeez I hope the planes take off. 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Dunno, They could have the conveyor belts different colours as moving numbers would be hard to read.

I guess that whatever we write from now on will be patented by the 47 guys that believe in miracles.

A registered name for this invention could be CRAP (conveyor refuses aircraft pilot)

:rotary:

Yep, ground speed a depicted on the gps. Land on belt, apply brakes, the weight of the aircraft turns off the belt and as there is no forward motion the plane comes to a smooth halt and taxis off the belt to the parking area. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Guest gwmeens

Yep.. brilliant!!! I agree plane will come to a grinding halt with only smoking/melting tyres, glowing bearings and disc brakes... but hey no need for runways you can't have it all. We might have to think :hittinghead: about a cooling system of some sort, wow I start to feel realy good about solving this minor problem at least we getting some where now..!! :rotary:

Guest airsick
and a BAK text book for all the guys who are stuck on that 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif conveyor belt and don't think they'll ever fly again

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif :thumb_up:

Guest bingobongo

impossible! if I understood correctly your sentence ( I hope I did) the ground move as fast as the plane; but in the opposite direction.

therefore the plane is not moving, referred to the air!

so it is impossible that is flies!

Fabri

Guest brentc

For those that have recently joined the discussion, we ascertained over a month ago that the aircraft will actually take off. The current discussion is revolving around undercarriage / wheel bearing longevity.

It may take off, but now we have to have a three month consultation on can it land. If the conveyor is of finite length and the brakes have to be used , how will that affect the fact that the conveyor moves at the same speed but in the opposite direction to the plane, and what happens if there is a cross wind. Oh my. we could go on for ever.

Guest gwmeens

Wow! follow the story my friend, we explaned the landing and cooling procedure in threads 186-188 all of these minor problembs have been sorted, as to the crosswind matter of course we mount the conv.belt on a big turning table and turn it into the wind..!^%#@^*( doh!! this obviously can be automated so we never have to land under Xwind conditions and thus save on Xwind training and runway lights etc...

Anyone get the idea that we all seem to have no idea anymore? What happened to the clear cut solutions we had earlier?

But with a question like that, who needs ideas to answer?

I propose a solution method. We ask a million monkeys and give them all typewriters, one of them will find the answer. And we will have a spare copy of Macbeth to show that flying is for the elite.

But we still have to take off on the grass beside the runway.

032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Hmmm, a taildragger would be interesting. Lets see, touchdown with the rudder in 40 kt wind and the wheels doing 80 kt on the ¨ground¨??? Better keep it straight or there could be a really really quick groundloop. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OK - let's try this -

River flowing at 25 knots. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Wind blowing up stream 40 knots. :confused:

Paddlesteamer with current at full speed (15 knots). :raise_eyebrow:

Will the paddlesteamer take off? i_dunno

NO :yuk::yuk::yuk:

and neither will the bloody aeroplane! :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin: 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

regards

OK - let's try this -River flowing at 25 knots. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Wind blowing up stream 40 knots. :confused:

Paddlesteamer with current at full speed (15 knots). :raise_eyebrow:

Will the paddlesteamer take off? i_dunno

NO :yuk::yuk::yuk:

and neither will the bloody aeroplane! :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin: 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

regards

Ignore this Post.

It is just Peter trying to raise the profile of the Echuca Tourism Board and attract more visitors to the Echuca Port and Paddle Steamer river tours.

Pete knows full well that paddle steamers need to do more than 15 knots to take off.

However .... if all forum members were to go to blueshed's Jamestown Hangar Dinner & Fly-in next weekend, the Jamestown flyers will have enough cash to get a conveyor belt down from Leigh Creek and do a practical demonstration using their new 230.

Are you gunna go Pete?

G'day Captain - I hadn't planned to - but if they get that belt going.......040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

(I could probably land on it before I take off....) :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

regards

Nope sorry! The aircraft will just sit on the conveyor belt with its wheels spinning like crazy!To create the lift required for the aircraft to fly, there must be airflow over the wings (not just prop wash as some have alluded to). If the force driving the aircraft forward (thrust from props, jets, rockets) is countered from the outset by a force in the opposite direction (the culmination of frictional forces between the tyres and the runway/conveyor belt), the end result will be nil forward motion of the aircraft - therefore nil airflow over the wings - therefore the aircraft will never generate sufficient lift to become airborne!

Physics:101

Rog

PS: If you don't believe me - go buy a small electric aeroplane and try it out on a treadmill!

Roger, you have got it in one. If the prop cant move the A/C forward, there will be no lift like we always feel just before rotate. This is not a trick question. I suppose in that there is something to be really sorry about.:ah_oh:

Put simply, lift is required for flight.

Lift is created by sufficient air moving over your wings.

Is the aircraft moving through the air? NO.

Is air moving over the wings? NO

Is lift generated? NO

Will it take off? NO

I can not believe the length of this thread, it is bloody amazing!

Spacesage

"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"

I think that pretty much covers the plane moving. Unless you left the park brake on.

If the prop wash was enough to enable the plane to fly it would lift off during run up which it doesn't. It needs 50-80 knots of wind over the wing to generate enough lift to fly and with the conveyor belt keeping the plane in the stationary position it will not fly.

Clive