Will the plane take off?

Guest airsick

Will the plane take off?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Will the plane take off?

• Yes
    • No

Look at it this simple way:

The aircraft's speed will only be say 50 knots for take-off.

The conveyor will match this speed.

The conveyor will not accelerate until 'infinity'

The speed of the conveyor will not hold back the aircraft.

Therefore in summary:

- The aircraft will take off

- The conveyor will be doing around 50 knots when the aircraft takes off

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setting N=zx+N is artificial restraint of the equation, you won't slip that one past me. I was hoping you'd come up with limit f(x) as x approaches infinity = f'(x) with x=infinity. Or was it 0?With ski's on ice there's no wheel distruction, then we can dispnse with the calculus and revert to z=f/m, sorry Biggles.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Good of you to pick it; it means at least someone is following.

But N=zx+N IS part of the question.

What 'fools' people into thinking that the plane would stand still? Its because the belt would make a car/ other wheel propelled vehicle stand still.

Therefore the conveyor speed MUST be N=zx+N.

That has been my point all the time.

And if that follows, any acceleration on the part of the plane causes major problems..

I disagree with M Wrenford's statement.

If the projectile is fired above the ground reference, i.e. the belt, then it has a velocity of 45kts period. If the belt is travelling at any speed/direction the velocity is still 45kts.

Remember those earlier comments about the speed of the earth. The earth is moving, but we measure our speed in relation to it. So why should we do otherwise in a localised scenario of a belt?

Guest Ken deVos

With all this discussion of a conveyor travelling backward at speed (including infinite speed), should we also consider the speed and direction of the air mass in the 'friction layer' above the conveyor? 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

I think that even at a relatively slow conveyor speed, this wind speed would be sufficient to lift the aircraft off the conveyor. :big_grin:

Provided, of course, the forward thrust from the propeller is sufficient to overcome the backward thrust from the wind. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Ken deVos
Well, now we need to know whether we are talking about a Low-Wing or High-Wing plane . . . obviously the lower air closer to the conveyor belt would be more affected by the movement of the conveyor than air higher up.

Agreed.

The effect would also vary with the dimensions and surface texture of the conveyor.

I have the final answer to this one... un-plug the bloody conveyor! The plane will take off, and everyone can stop arguing!!!!018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif Unless of course it was running at light-speed, in which case we would all have gone home before we switched it off, and so wouldn't know that the plane was in fact airborne, and as the pilot hadn't even arived in time to fly it before it left, he/she wouldn't be able to tell anyone about it either. Therefore you must just believe that the plane will fly. THE END.

Or is it?

Redair.

• 4 weeks later...
THE END AMEN 110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif Phil

Perhaps a new poll is needed ....... will this be the end of this thread and will it stay closed.

The yes's to the right of the chair and the no's to the left. I declare Slarti the teller for the yes's and Ian the teller for the no's.

Once we resolve that, we can work on whether that plane would take off or not.

PS Can someone bring a conveyor belt or a long sheet to Narromine and will someone else volunteer a nice STOL machine and maybe we can all do a practical test .... after a couple of reds.

The aeroplane won't fly because -

There are no bones in icecream. :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

regards

PS

and if you think this is silly - read all in this tread again. (my head hurtz)091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

There are no nuts in donuts

Allen's Live Savers don't save lives

Allen's Steam Rollers don't roll steam

etc 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Actually, did you how they get the shiny coating on Allen's five flavours roll of lollies - they use detergent - true!

Guest airsick

So when my mum tells me to wash my mouth out with soap I should go eat a lolly then?

Sorry, off topic but Ian started it. Or did Pete? 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Guest Redair
maybe we can all do a practical test .... after a couple of reds.

But there is only ONE of me!:confused:

Redair.

All this talk of velocity. Would someone like to define it. I dont think anything can have a velocity of 45 kts. To be a velocity surely it needs direction also. ie 45kts, 180 deg. Or am I wrong again.

To be a velocity surely it needs direction also. ie 45kts, 180 deg. Or am I wrong again.

Delete "180 deg" and substitute "down the runway".

But will the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif plane take off?

Lets get this thread happening................

Serves you right for closing it. The revenge of the stubborn. It will and won't take off, depending on things such as whether the moon is in scorpio with venus rising or how much the pilot was drinking, hence how many moons there are.

Makes sense to me, but I don't trust myself after spending last weekend at Thredbo wearing a Bundy apron to a Country music festival. I would like to say it was fun, but I can't remember.

How many conveyor belts does it take to make the plane take off.........question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

who knows the plane has to WANT to take off and if you put too many fat people like me in it it aint got a hope in hell regardless of any damn conveyor belt..... hahahahahahahaha :confused:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I think I'll go and take those pills them nice men in white just gave me....091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Phil

All very interesting except for one thing you guys have missed. If the aircraft flys, why dont the navy have conveyor belts on their aircraft carriers. They would be able to do mutiple take offs with the deck sizes they have and smaller ships would only need a few sqare metres of space to launch aircraft. :thumb_up: