Avmap Ekp4 Device not present please verify

mlpinaus

Have an EKP4 fitted by Jabiru in a J230C. Bought the Avmap mid last year, fitted

late July, worked fine until yesterday! Now all it does is gives a red error

message DEVICE not PRESENT Please verify. What the 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif. Has anyone any

idea what I can do? I have emailed Avmap, but they are notorious if you search

web.

regards

Marcus

Yes, took out the compact flash, reinserted it several times to mechanicaly clean

the thing. (Emailed AVMAP and they are talking to me at least.)

Cleaning it made it work erratically for a while:confused:. Tried a little switch cleaner on the contacts of the CF. Now it does not work at all. :;)2: Now in the process of buying some CF memory and a CF reader with the thought of copying the CF in the AVMAP then updating the software and map via the web. Plan B is to spend

$ 2200 on a new AVMAP before NATFLY:angry:. Italian and electric are not words to be used lightly together. 5083 is rather sad right now, dash all loose and a big hole where the AVMAP was 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

regards

Marcus

If, by disturbing the connectors it came back to life, albeit erratically, it still seems to me to be in that local area. Are all leads properly secured to prevent vibrational damaged? Can you carry out any point to point continuity checks? Don't spend big bucks until all other possible checks have been exhausted.

I took the AVMAP out of 24 5083 and replaced the DC line in with a set of

charged NiMh batteries, as you can. Thing would boot up occasionaly.

:) Cleaned the CF socket with Electrolube switch cleaner and now it won't

even do that.:yuk:

Really only leaves the AVMAP or its associated CF. Just ordered a CF reader and

a virgin CF. Will try and read the CMAP one that came with the AVMAP. Will try

and update map and software from web site. Will still try a waranty claim 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif, but

NATFLY is end March

regards

Marcus

Marcus

Sounds like you are getting into more strife than Speed Gordon.

Have you spoken with the guys at EDMO in South Ozz, who import the units here? I found them very helpful, their service was terrific and they know the product well.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Thanks Captain. Ian ;), from whom I purchased the AVMAP, has already spoken

to EDMO. They both advise me to contact AVMAP as the thing is under warranty

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif which I have done. NATFLY is late March. Time enough.

regards

Marcus

FIXED, at least for now...

Thanks Deskpilot and Captain on this site, and Ian who I pm'd and spoke to.

AVMAP, who have a poor internet "rating" were actually very helpful via email

indeed. ;) all of you.

Reading the CF content into a PC, then loading it back into another new CF did

the trick. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif The only thing is, its not clear why. :;)5: I am an electronic engineer

and Italian and electronic don't go well together in the same sentence. Remember

Marconi you counter....

regards

Marcus....

Guest pelorus32

GPS Units appear to be prone to problems with cards. The Navman marine units will hang and crash and hang when they don't like the C-Map cards. Replace the cards with a new card and the unit works fine.

I remember one horrible night in Bass Strait hove to in a SE gale. We were trying to dodge a total of 7 ships, all within a quarter of a mile CPA - unable to get out of their road - and the GPS was crashing and hanging. We had to restart it each time a ship asked for our position on the VHF!!

It was only many weeks later that we finally tracked down the problem to the C-Map card. It appears that the error handling around reading the media is bad.

Regards

Mike

"Italian and electronic don't go well together in the same sentence."

Having been a motorcyclist I recall being rather concerned upon discovering that Ducati make the alternators/generators for Rotax aero engines 582 & 912 that I'm aware of.

However, as I say to people about my motorcycling, "I've been lucky so far". No problems with those Ducati parts on the Rotax engines, yet.

To be fair to Ducati, their more recent products seem to have improved electrically.

Cheers,

Glen

Quality of CF cards

Spoke to my mate on Sunday. He is a tech with one of the exploration companies, and thus close to God. His comment was that TomTom (the gps crowd) warn that not all CF cards are fast enough for their applications. They say SANDISK are OK. Taiwan? :ah_oh:I was brought up in a world where Philps NV. ruled.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Still the whole experience confirms the rule paper maps first , weather, paper flight plan then, compass etc backed up with a gps that can fail, just like that.:confused:

The funny thing was that we were attending a local Alfa Romeo Owners Club run at the time. Talk about Italian and electrics!

Any how, off we go to Narromine in 5083!:;)3:

regards

Marcus

So - how about Garmin 296 and Lowrance 2000C? Does anyone know the problem rate with them?

I am interested in Lowrance, but seems Jab only do Garmin 296 in-dash installs; cutout is standard on their panels..

Cheers

Chris

i know of several people that have got rid of the Lowrance for various reasons. Jab do the Avmap but i presume then that jab only offer the Avmap with certain panels but it is expensive for the big screen compared to the cheaper 296 with the smaller screen. Ian McPherson here in the forums had 2 Lowrance's (plane and car) and got rid of them for the Avmap in his Tecnam

Yeah, the electric everything panel from Jab is the Avmap. The only thing I would change on 5083 is to get the larger Dynon EMS screen, but you can split the EFIS screen on the left (see my avatar) to include the EMS screen as well. Works OK. :) Bloke I rent the hangar from had a Garmin fail (296 I think), replaced under warranty. Its something they do. :confused:

regards

Marcus

• 1 month later...

Device Not present.....

Further to the apparent cure... Noticed finally 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif that no airfields other than my

past waypoints and tracks from earlier trips were in the data base. Particularly the

restricted zone near YMBD was not there 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif...., but the Terrain Alert stuff was

all working question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif.

So I phoned EDMO, whose phones were on the blink.. Telstra 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif. EDMO were really

good. Gave me a replacement CF card. Works properly now :big_grin:. Seems to have a lot

airfields in that weren't there before 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif Bought a used Garmin 96 with the latest

Jeppersen maps on fleabay for $250, powered by drycells.., as a backup and flew

5083 off to Natfly with a very experienced navigator beside me, doing it all the

proper way as a constant cross check. The moving map on the AVMAP was really

good flying back from NATFLY, dodging the rain showers. After all, Jab props dissolve

in the rain, don't they 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif? For now...Closed..