1st solo yesterday!

Keith

G'day folks, Keith here.

Just managed my first solo in a Jabiru UL-D yesterday - bloody fantastic. I had a previous attempt at learning to fly 10 years ago at Bankstown on C-152, but it never clicked.

This time I've done my training up in Innisfail, North Queensland. Less traffic, a smart aircraft, (and an excellent instructor) has made it easier for me to learn and get my confidence up. So I'm pretty happy.

Anyway, look forward to learning from y'all.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks blueshed, Spriteah and Captain.

Still absorbing the lessons from that first solo. I think the interesting psychological thing is being surprised at being surprised. I mean that although I expected that flight to be different (less weight in the aircraft, no-one to ask for an on-site second opinion, etc), and had prepared myself mentally for it, there were still a couple of very predictable things that caught me out:

Instructor hops out - I take a deep breath, pre-take-off checks, did my radio call, and started the roll, kept it all straight and clean - all going well, I thought. But then the Jabiru just leaps into the air like a rocket and some part of my brain is saying "It hasn't handled like this before - what have you done wrong!". Eyeballs get distracted by the rate-of-climb indicator ... start fiddling with the trim ... get behind on the post-take-off check list ... almost forget to retract flaps (got them up at 80kts - no harm done, apparently).

So brain then says "You almost stuffed that one up - better pay more attention to those other checklists". Right, turning downwind call ... checklist: "My harness locked and secure ... your harness locked and sec-"... "hang on" says brain: "there's noone else here - christ, you're in this crate by yourself!" ... eyeballs decide to move on, but get momentarily hung-up on the engine-start checklist instead ... brain rallies, tries to get a grip ... stutters out turning base call ...

And then it all comes together again and I fly a tidy approach and grease it in for a satisfying landing.

All part of learning I guess! Anyway, have since done another half hour solo, and you're right, it does get easier. Or at least the old brain is less startled about the whole affair - but seems to be enjoying it just as much or even more!

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks blueshed, Spriteah and Captain.Still absorbing the lessons from that first solo. I think the interesting psychological thing is being surprised at being surprised. I mean that although I expected that flight to be different (less weight in the aircraft, no-one to ask for an on-site second opinion, etc), and had prepared myself mentally for it, there were still a couple of very predictable things that caught me out:

Instructor hops out - I take a deep breath, pre-take-off checks, did my radio call, and started the roll, kept it all straight and clean - all going well, I thought. But then the Jabiru just leaps into the air like a rocket and some part of my brain is saying "It hasn't handled like this before - what have you done wrong!". Eyeballs get distracted by the rate-of-climb indicator ... start fiddling with the trim ... get behind on the post-take-off check list ... almost forget to retract flaps (got them up at 80kts - no harm done, apparently).

So brain then says "You almost stuffed that one up - better pay more attention to those other checklists". Right, turning downwind call ... checklist: "My harness locked and secure ... your harness locked and sec-"... "hang on" says brain: "there's noone else here - christ, you're in this crate by yourself!" ... eyeballs decide to move on, but get momentarily hung-up on the engine-start checklist instead ... brain rallies, tries to get a grip ... stutters out turning base call ...

And then it all comes together again and I fly a tidy approach and grease it in for a satisfying landing.

All part of learning I guess! Anyway, have since done another half hour solo, and you're right, it does get easier. Or at least the old brain is less startled about the whole affair - but seems to be enjoying it just as much or even more!

Cheers,

Keith

Good on ya Keith, many happy flying days to you.

I laughed when you mentioned about the ROC indicator.

When I did my first solo back in late 06 the gauge went thru the roof so to speak.

To be the only one aboard is something very special.

For me, I am about to add to that milestone of doing my first solo cross country.

Who would had thought, certainly not me..........

All the very best to you.

Sean.

Well done Keith. A C150 would not have surprised you as much. The instructor in most GA planes is a much smaller proportion of AUW.

I don't know how but I can't remember the first solo, in fact I have to look in the logbook to remind me of the first solo's in several types. I can remember the first flight in a single seater.

Guest Flygirltake2

Hi Keith

Congratulations!!! I sort of went solo a couple of weeks ago in the sense that I had done it all before 20 years ago. I felt like a complete novice and had acted a bit of a goat for a while as I had refused to go it alone. But when my instructor finally got out and forced the choice...I had no choice..... It was a very exhilerating and satisfying experience...onward and upward!!!!!

Good onya Sean, and good luck with that cross-country. Not sure how I'll go on my Nav training, as I have a pretty poor sense of direction. But getting home should be easier - there always seems to be a fat rain cloud sitting over Innisfail, so I'll just head for that.

Cheers,

Keith

Hey Keith, congratulations. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif :thumb_up: I went solo late last year in what I assume is the same aircraft with the same great instructor getting out. Innisfail is a great location to learn (just have to watch for the crop dusters - strong silent types with regard to radio calls!). Enjoy the rest of the journey. I have 15 hours up and am working towards my restricted licence either side of Easter.

Cheers, Mathew

Hi Mathew - yes, good 'ol Jabiru 16. I've heard a bit about your progress, and it sounds like you've got the flying coming together very nicely indeed.

I've got about 9 hours up so far, and am planning to put in another block of time after Easter. Probably catch you at the aerodrome one of these days (if it isn't closed down and sold off by the council!).

Keen to hear how your navexs are going. I've got a way to go before I leave the local area, but am wondering if I should invest in an aviation GPS unit. Probably not needed for navigation around the coast and tablelands?

Cheers,

Keith

Congratulations Keith.

Probably a little bit easier on the nerves at Innisfail, than it would have been three abreast on finals at Bankstown.

Well done, another milestone in your life to remeber.

Rgds

Alan