Clubs and Politics

Guest babs1aus

Guest babs1aus

So far over my years in aviation Id have to say Clubs are very average. Sought of a nice place to visit but eventually its good to go home. I cant believe that in this day and age whith flying such a priveledged pastime that people still prefer to polotic than fly. My view is simple maintain safety, safe hangerage for your plane, and fly keeping it as affordable and practical as possible. Simple one would think but however not in:hittinghead::hittinghead: the real world. Whats your long term experience with clubs (dont name them):rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary:

i am impressed with the club i joined at Cessnock! great group or people and well attended, whenever i needed help with maintenance,there was always someone with a wealth on knowledge on hand or nearby, flying was going on all the time. . it was sad to leave them. as for goulburn....

Guest Fred Bear

We are lucky at The Oaks that our club is very social and does not have the 'political' and 'backstabbing gossiping' attitude. I do know the kind of clubs you are talking about though. I guess with some of them it can take a while to become 'one of them'.

I don't belong to a aircraft club but i do belong to a RC aircraft club.

And the one i belong to is the best club i have seen at getting rid of people they don't like. these people have done nothing wrong they just don't agree with something they say or don't like the way they fly. they spend more time back stabbing and less time flying there models.

Thats my two cents.

Shepparton.....

No politics at all. No bickering, no infighting.

Jeez, its so nice and refreshing!!!! :thumb_up:

Friday; barbie and drinks at Beer O'Clock

Saturday; 1230 lunch $6

Sunday; 0830 brekky $4

Flying at any other time...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

A top school that welcomes members and has the club rooms open every day,

Three Tecnams, a 172 and an Archer..

Ben

We are in the process of trying to revive our local club, very low key, casual and social. Is there anyone out there with experience of a club which has no fixed facilities and operates out of an airstrip with no flying school?

you are lucky no flying school the aero club does not own air on cross hire to school beleive me the bikering that went on in one club that bough aircraft to cross hire to make money for the club are in trouble prices have gone up for learners

keep it simple safe

:clap:neil

G'day Peter,

a club needs a clubhouse, and a reason to be. :thumb_up:

If you don't own your own building or land, then this is probably the first step. :big_grin:

A group of people with a common interest needs direction - they need a goal to strive for, something to achieve. :)

Many years ago I was a member of a club that had achieved all sorts of things, but were in the doldrums (it wasn't aviation). 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif They had everything they needed, clubrooms, euipment etc, etc.

Then one day the clubroom burnt down - we lost everything and the insurance was well short of replacing the lot. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif

We started a new building from scratch. Used our own labour to save money for equipment - boy did we have fun and work together - people who had almost faded away returned with a keen interest - it was fanatastic. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Now - don't go torching the clubroom - but find a project to do and put people to work - you'll be suprised. :big_grin:

regards

At Rodds Bay we don't have a club. The oldest members wouldn't entertain a club atmosphere, where democracy could mean that a clique could take control.

We have to pay the landlord to cover his insurance and a payment to the "group" to cover maintenance. We have a donga and a couple of caravans for accomodation, a car and ute plus some other machinery. For the first time since I have been involved, we had a levy added to the monthly fee to buy a new engine for a ride on mower.

It results in a harmonious group that has no arguments, no elections or bosses, but can come to an agreement about what is needed.

We did have trouble with one member who I caught "money laundering" He was tallying up the available money to buy the new engine when he absent mindedly put a pile on notes in a honey jar rather than the empty jar alongside. I caught him washing the money in the kitchen sink. Got the photo to prove it, may pass it on to Mick Kealty!

There is a lot to be said for the communal system..... but it takes complete trust in each member of the group. Otherwise.... chaos reins supreme.

Not that many years ago, I was involved with two musical and theatre groups. I was a techie for them both. One would have a full blown spontaneous committee meeting to decide who was going to sweep the stage and when.

In the other group, if the stage needed sweeping, there were about four volunteers doing it.

While there are clubs that are 'clicky' and intolerant of new members, especially, God forbid, a student pilot - or even worse, a CFI who needs a base for his school... a club is usually what you make of it.

Ben

I'm about to change RC clubs.

Unless you've been a member forever and accepted into the ruling clique, you're to a large extent sidelined. Even though I,m a full paying member.

Asking why members are not informed of the clubs financal situation and recieving a blank stare did it for me. I've seen instructors all over potential new members and after they've joined, been largely ignored.

I hope ultralight clubs are not similar.

I think total transperancy in needed in all affairs.

The taking over of a club by a few members, and moving it in a direction they want irrespective of the majority can begin the decline.