British Airways (boac) 1964?

ben170292

Hi,

So i am trying to find out what aircraft my dad flew on when his family moved to Australia he said it was with British Airways which i think was BOAC back then, and was hoping someone might know something about aircraft used and routes flown from November 1964. My dad was only 4 when he moved here but he knows that they had several stopovers which some were BOM and DRW and landing at Essendon Airport, and that the plane had propellers not jets.

hoping i here some interesting stuff :),

Thanks, Ben

Guest David C

Ben ... You are correct . Back in 1964 British Airways did not exist . The national long haul carrier of the UK was BOAC back then . BOAC operated the Boeing 707 and Vickers VC10 to Australia , being jet aircraft, your father probably didn't fly on one of these as you said the aircraft had propellers . In the 60's there were many migrant charter flights operated by an airline called British Eagle from the UK . They were operated by the Bristol Britannia , a large turbo prop classic airplane . I hazard a guess here and say that your Dad probably flew on one of these charters to Essendon ..Hope this helps ..

Dave C

Thanks for the reply, I have never heard of that airline, but I can see why he was thinking it was British airways now. I'm not sure if this helps but the fare they paid was a huge sale, it was only £10 to Australia, also do you know what he routing was for these charters?

Thanks again, Ben

Hi Ben,

Here are links to a couple of photos of the BOAC Britannia. BOAC stood for British Overseas Airways Corporation.

The Australian Government sponsored British migrants in the 1960's with a 10 pound fare. They became known as Ten Pound Poms.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/BOAC/Bristol-175-Britannia/1746772/&sid=ee9d99c187def407e7ae47cdb781b8bc

http://www.airliners.net/photo/BOAC/Bristol-175-Britannia/1355673/&sid=ee9d99c187def407e7ae47cdb781b8bc

Thanks, so I got in contact with my grandfather and he said it was a turbo prop, and was definitely operated by British eagle. Does anyone know which routes they used in late 1964?

Thanks, Ben

British Eagle flights to Australia were charter flights, most likely via Cairo, Sri Lanka, Singapore. Below is a photo of a British Eagle Britannia.

[ATTACH=full]1114[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18170[/ATTACH]

780114912_BritishEagleBritannia.jpg.34198eaea0b007f65a7af11b0f9ea6d4.jpg

Proteus engines ... not without their problems, I recall from reading Stanley Hooker's "Not Much of an Engineer".Take a peek at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Proteus and look for the comment made by Frank Owner to Hooker regarding the Proteus development.

Interesting reading the Wiki page, thanks Geoff. Reading the marine applications, they would have been on the hovercraft I travelled on quite a few years ago. Recently recieved a copy of "Not much of an Engineer" in the mail & will be starting on it tomorrow, really looking forward to it. I see they also say it was used in Donald Campbell's car.

Cheers, Willie.

• 5 years later...
Thanks, so I got in contact with my grandfather and he said it was a turbo prop, and was definitely operated by British eagle. Does anyone know which routes they used in late 1964?Thanks, Ben

Hello Ben, I am new on this site I found it when I was researching our flights to Australia for the £10 pomy flights. I was employed by Eagle in the sixties and run the British Eagle Airlines archives here in the UK. We have a number of passenger manifests which includes the registration of the aircraft. If you are interested and let me have the dates your farther arrive in Australia we may hold the passenger manifest which you might not have and would be interested in a copy.Let me know.

Regards Eric

I flew with British Eagle back in the late 60's when posted to RAF Seletar on Singapore Island. One event I'll never forget was hitting an air pocket and the plane fell on my head. Flew home two and a half years later in a RAF VC10, a much nicer flight all round.

Hello Guys, thanks for your comments re the greatest UK independent airline of the 50/60s. If you would like to see more about the Eagle Group which includes British Eagle see our archive website britisheagle.net

Any comments or pictures about the airline would be of interest. We have a large archive.

Regards Eric

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,So i am trying to find out what aircraft my dad flew on when his family moved to Australia he said it was with British Airways which i think was BOAC back then, and was hoping someone might know something about aircraft used and routes flown from November 1964. My dad was only 4 when he moved here but he knows that they had several stopovers which some were BOM and DRW and landing at Essendon Airport, and that the plane had propellers not jets.

hoping i here some interesting stuff :),

Thanks, Ben

Only other option other than British Eagle my friend emigrated on in 1967 to Essendon MEN then would be BOAC Bristol Britannia 312s but I think finished flying them to Aust by 1964. British Eagle use to do charter flights for Qantas Pax for Melbourne as it didn't have pax seats available on original 707 138Bs, as you could have a choice of QF or BA on selected weeks or days wished advance book travel to emigrate , like my family did to Perth on BA716 on GAPFL in 16 May 69.

Some British Eagle Britannia's had seats facing the rear of the aircraft. I came back from a holiday in Spain in one configured that way.

Might have been ex RAF aircraft because I believe they were configured that way.

• 2 months later...
Hello Ben, I am new on this site I found it when I was researching our flights to Australia for the £10 pomy flights. I was employed by Eagle in the sixties and run the British Eagle Airlines archives here in the UK. We have a number of passenger manifests which includes the registration of the aircraft. If you are interested and let me have the dates your farther arrive in Australia we may hold the passenger manifest which you might not have and would be interested in a copy.Let me know.Regards Eric

Hi Eric,

I only just noticed this reply. I will send an email through the britisheagle.net website. Thanks

• 8 months later...
British Eagle flights to Australia were charter flights, most likely via Cairo, Sri Lanka, Singapore. Below is a photo of a British Eagle Britannia.

[ATTACH=full]1114[/ATTACH]

I flew on "Liberty" a couple of times. Found it quite luxurious after the DC3's and 4's I was used to. Though there was one occasion that I didn't think we going to make it climbing out of Perpignan in the Pyranees on a stinking hot day. Cleared the mountain top by probably not much more than 100ft or so.

Think you were on an unofficial sightseeing venture there. The Pyrennees are almost west of Perpignon. (which is nearly on the coast) The direct track to London would be about 345 true. and you wouldn't really pass over a lot of high ground. It should be well off your left. Nev