Ultralight Crash At Temora

red750

Sky News has reported that NSW Police have confirmed the death of the pilot of an ultralight plane at Temora around 3:00 pm today.

Guest aviatrix27

Not another one.... Please, be safe out there everyone.

Thoughts with his family and friends

Guest Michael Coates

Bugger... another one.... Reported as a man in his 50's

We are doing something wrong lately with so many accidents !

Guest Michael Coates

It looks like a trike..... 912 ?? completely consumed by fire, apparently a second plane was circling overhead was reported.

Well I am deeply shocked to learn the identity of the pilot in this incident. His name has been mentioned elsewhere now & I have only just found out via a Facebook friend. David Hunt (DavidH10 on this forum as well as others) was known to so many as a very professional pilot & communicated safety at all times. David took time off work to come out to meet Anne & I when we were at Yarrawonga Aifield last September & I found him to be every bit the gentleman I had expected him to be. Like so many others we shared a phone call or 2 from time to time as well as emails. Recreatioanl Aviation has lost a very special person.

Sincere & deepest sympathy to his family & close friends at Yarrawonga.

Rest in Peace

Guest David C

We, my wife and I met David at the Temora Warbirds display earlier on in the year at a pre arranged meet up at Carol Richards house on the airfield . He was great company , who extended his friendship to one and all . The sports aviation community has lost one of the best . I've read all the accident and incident reports of late , but when it's someone who you have met and have an affinity with it really hits hard .. RIP David ... You will be sorely missed by all you touched .. My deepest condolences to his family and friends ...

Dave and Marilyn C

Well I am deeply shocked to learn the identity of the pilot in this incident. ...... Like so many others we shared a phone call or 2 from time to time as well as emails. Recreatioanl Aviation has lost a very special person.Sincere & deepest sympathy to his family & close friends at Yarrawonga.

Rest in Peace

Hear hear... Thank you Dexter for expressing so well what so many of us feel...

Guest Glenn

Like David C, I met David on the same day. Condolences to David's family. This was a huge shock to read this just now

Guest BlackRod

Last Wednesday David Isaac and I had the pleasure to drive David Hunt and Peter McLean from our local train station to the Airborne factory at Redhead (Newcastle). David Isaac and I spent a few hours with them while they meticulously prepared the new XT912 Arrow Trikes for the flight down to Yarrawonga. I had got to know David Hunt through the Forums and had always been impressed with the quality of his posts. I had invited him to join the Constitution Review Project commissioned by the Board of RA-Aus and David had willingly accepted. He had done a lot of ground work for the Project and set up some excellent web based tools to facilitate the work of the Project team.

So, we took the opportunity of his being in Newcastle to have an informal meeting and work out some strategy to advance the review of the RA-Aus Constitution. We also took the opportunity to have a look through the Airborne Factory and at the new Airborne Trikes. I don't know that much abut Trikes but I was very impressed with the workmanship and the apparent strength of the undercarriage and "chassis".

Like others, I was gutted when I heard of David's terrible accident and deeply saddened for how his family and friends, especially Peter McLean, would be feeling. Incredulous that something like that could happen to such a good man. We will miss him greatly.

My only consolation is that he may have died in the air having one of the best days of his life.

• 7 months later...

This double fatality was six months ago.

Reference is made to this recent article:

http://www.avweb.com/news/safety/pilot_thunderstorm_judgement_flight_breakup_weather_208031-1.html

Read the last three paragraphs of this article and think about who this reminds you of. What would you do?

mnewbery, are you sure you have posted this in the correct thread? I suspect you intended it to refer to the accident where a trike departed at or shortly before dark and subsequently crashed killing pilot and passenger?

Mods perhaps the article could be moved to the correct thread, it is well worth discussing - I'd give the link if I could find it!

Good piece about a difficult issue. I was involved in something similar before I even started flying - was invited along for a Sunday morning jolly by a friend, along with 2 other relatively husky young blokes as it turned out. The appointed steed was a Cherokee 140 with what turned out to be 3/4+ tanks of fuel. I knew no better and was quite prepared to climb aboard when another, much more experienced friend drifted down from the clubhouse and had a few quiet words with the pilot. Things got a bit heated with the pilot apparently not wanting to back down. 2nd friend bluntly advised us would be passengers that the aircraft was in his opinion, overweight and he did not advise that we took off. In retrospect a pretty courageous move and one that I hope I would have the guts to emulate, because it caused a great deal of ill feeling between the two of them. I backed out of the flight, which similarly didn't go down well, but was consoled when an identical aircraft went down in a backyard about 6 months later, carrying a similar load and having failed to gain altitude after take off. All survived, but the pilot's wallet took a beating when insurers did the weight and balance calcs and walked away from the claim.