Sopwith Triplane Crash 29th June 2014

mauld

Ouch a smidge more power or few feet more and would have cleared the fence. Remarkable just how little damage was evident, but probably very low ground speed too.

Ouch a smidge more power or few feet more and would have cleared the fence. Remarkable just how little damage was evident, but probably very low ground speed too.

Judging by the smoke on very late final, the stokers were pouring the coal into the boilers, but it was too late for the steam to build up sufficiently.

Fortunately the damage looks repairable and hopefully the skipper and all the stokers got out OK.

It looked as if he was running ALONG the line of the fence. I always say "Glad it wasn't ME" . Everyone was watching. Can't say "It was like that when I got here. Boss". Genuine Rotary engine too. Not a lot of them flying out here. Nev

Yeh like the Pitts you really need to slip to see we're your going or the old head out the side trick! You can clearly here the blip throttle but sounds fine for a normal landing! I believe he just didn't see the fence line ( understandable giventhe concentration required to fly one of these bad boys onto to any RUNWAY .but none less embarrassing! Poor bugger! Glad the fence post faired better! Anyway I have no loss of respect for any pilot the flys these types of REAL tail draggers..

Not sure if some realise the pilotage required to fly one? There's no throttle !Just a blip from idle to full. They DO NOT LIKE Any XWIND FACTOR ON Landing, , there NOT designed for a runway they will ground loop if not peddled in a physic manner! They are true in the seat of pants flying( the real mccoy )

You look out of both sides if you aren't sure of where you are during the approach later you concentrate on one if you have a reference to focus on ( usually the left). Longer nosed aircraft have a vis problem too requiring a turning approach almost to flare if you want a detailed look at were you are going to land it. It will repair OK. The engine might have a problem, as IT spins, the crankshaft stays still. The prop is fixed to an extension of the crankcase. Nev