Tiger down

I'd like to see the evidence that the ADF is a meritocracy

I would suggest that it's not, but the usual method is to promote them upwards and away from where it is perceived that they will do harm (which of course puts them in a position where their incompetence affects more people).

Currently it is my perception that if you are the 'right' gender you will get away with almost anything in the ADF, but if you are the 'wrong' gender you be out before you know what happened for any perceived transgression.

What's your point, and what does it have to do with a pilot having a wire strike and keeping his job?

I notice also despite two full on wire strikes with nothing more than superficial damage to the aircraft, none of the 'knockers' have had anything to say about the safety of the airframe.

I'm fine with my daughter joining the ADF, if anything they'd baby her too much, which I doubt she would appreciate.

Not much going down in Afghanistan to be sending tigers for. The French have been using theirs over there for years now, in any case.

Are you assuming that the french army <= Australian army?

No, I’m assuming that the aircraft is quite capable because others are using it in the manner it was designed for.

M16A1 - How does the level of progress at todays 68 year stage, compare to the progress at the 27 year stage? I mean to say, we still have wire strikes, but are they reducing in number?

M16A1 - How does the level of progress at todays 68 year stage, compare to the progress at the 27 year stage? I mean to say, we still have wire strikes, but are they reducing in number?

I know of two in the last 10 years, but the biggest difference is the outcome. The complete contrast of a tiger parked neatly in the paddock after a precautionary landing because of a wire strike and a Huey laying on its side rolled in a ball says a bit.

• Agree 1

an aircraft is only as good as its ground crew. did many people working on the tigers go to europe to see how they maintain them over there?

Funny you should ask that....The French and Germans actually came here to see how the Aussies do things, because apparently we fly many more hours than any other country that has them.

• Like 1

Funny you should ask that....The French and Germans actually came here to see how the Aussies do things, because apparently we fly many more hours than any other country that has them.

did they poach any coworkers?

• 3 weeks later...
did they poach any coworkers?

More like the other way around.

As you yourself should know, English is the global language of aviation. So a German or French techo speaking English and checking out Oakey, or any of the Army Aviation Regiments would have more opportunity for work, than an Australian visiting European sites, not speaking French or German. ;-)

Our RAAF has a world-wide reputation for excellent and innovative maintenance; our people can often get more out of an airframe than the original manufacturers expected.

That's because we're so bloody far from the source and the lead-in times for delivery are fairly long, that we, like the Kiwis have to engage in some lateral thinking. And god help you if you want to do something different and want to source the gear.