AIR BOX TEMPERATURE GOES HIGHER

Davidnane

I'm trying to diagnose the cause of  problem  that on  my home build VK-30 with 914 F2 engine variable speed propeller.

1. Airbox temp goes up to 92 C to 95 C and all other parameters are NORMAL, like  oil temp, CHT, EGT etc.

RPM was 5000 ~ 5500 with no drop  or any vibration issue gain height 12000 feet to 16000 feet.

as per book, Airbox intervene at 88C as per book MANUAL. but here no such action was found. why?

airbox attached to turbochargers from one side and other is attached to carburetor. this is used for increased the boost pressure.

[ATTACH]41697[/ATTACH]

There would be an increase in temperature due to the turbo compressing the air, this is why most turbo engines have inter coolers. Check with rotax for spec.

• Helpful 1

At 12 to 16000 ft OAT is going to be pretty cold but the turbo is going to be working hard compressing air to sea level oxygen levels so I don't really know if this temp is normal or not. 

You will get the best answer from the "Rotax Owners" forum. 

There are a number of sensors on these engines to control boost limits. I imagine air inlet temp is one of them. 

• Agree 1

What are you doing at those altitudes? . You can work out the boost required  but at a guess... I'd think .5 Bar would be enough allowing for losses.  You are also pressuring the Carbs with that set up   and your coolant needs an actual  positive pressure ( the cap is differential) to control boiling point. Legally you should have oxygen above 10,000 ft in this country. in some other places its 12,000'. Breathing pure oxygen has it's risks. and don't take a thermos with you. Nev