Museum of Australian Commercial Aviation

BirdDog

The website is full of cut-and-paste from other websites, with no references or credits.

A very poor effort, and typical of a lot of these "crap, money-making" websites that proliferate, designed specifically to generate sizeable income for the website owner, via clickbait.

Red - No, I think your Aircraft showcase is well done. But there's a problem as regards copyright when setting up a website, that few people seem to understand.

If you are going to cut-and-paste wholesale from other sites, and use other peoples writings, largely word for word, you lay yourself wide open to copyright infringement.

If you wish to put stuff on the Internet, you need to ensure that you acquire approval to use others people creative writing work and photos, and give them credits when doing so.

There are many people out there who are either ignorant of copyright law, or who just wilfully steal everything they can lay their hands on, and care not a whit about the ramifications.

Copyright law extends to the Internet and people have been sued (and the ligitants have won) when copyright has been infringed.

The bloke running the "Aviation Collection" website claims he's simply an aviation collector and house-husband located in Mt Barker, W.A., and he claims he is operating on a "not for profit" basis.

However, this still does not let you get away with cut-and-paste, and displaying other peoples creative work. Many people are highly protective of their creative work, and litigious to boot.

Gary Larsen, the cartoonist represents the typical problem of simply reproducing other peoples creative work. When someone copies a Larsen cartoon and forwards it or puts it on a website, it deprives Gary Larsen of income.

Gary Larsen became appalled and angry about this problem, where millions of people freely redistributed his cartoons online and deprived him of a great deal of income.

As a result, he refused to put anything online and actually stopped producing cartoons for quite some time. I don't know if he sued anyone, but he could have sued millions of people.

On the ExplorOz 4WD forum, we had a bloke who put up a regular "Sunday History Photo" article. The problem was, he was simply stealing other peoples photos, cutting-and-pasting from a myriad of other websites (many official websites included), and having a great time. But the owners of the website were made aware that if this bloke wasn't stopped, they would be subject to legal action - so his "Sunday History Photo" regular articles, became history.

There is a "fair use" test for copyright, I have included a link below. As a general guide, you can reproduce around 10% of someone elses work for "discussion or educational" purposes, without needing official permission.

https://www.usg.edu/galileo/skills/unit08/credit08_11.phtml

We've gone through this problem on other forums - car forums, truck forums, tractor forums, 4WD forums, fishing forums, you name it. You can be prosecuted for using a companys logo and trademarks without official authorisation.

Caterpillar are a classic. Try reproducing any Caterpillar trademark, logo or symbol, on a website, and Cat lawyers will be in contact with you, very promptly.

The passage of time does not necessarily affect copyright, trademarks, logos, or symbols. Many a time, someone has re-registered some old name, trade symbol or logo, and people think it's defunct, when its not.

We found out that Cat utilised 28 different styles of writing of the Caterpillar name, from 1925, when Caterpillar was formed. People thought the early versions would be out of copyright - but Caterpillar still own the copyright, on every name and logo and symbol they have ever used! If the copyright had time-expired, Cat have renewed it.

This bloke with the Aviation Collection is running close to the wind, even though he claims he's not-for-profit, he needs to either re-write what he's got, in his own words, or obtain permission to reproduce other peoples writings and photos - and put up credits for their work.

I did attack him initially, believing that he'd set the site up for making money by adding advertising, and getting income from Google - but I see now, after reading his story, that he merely has a large aviation collection that he wishes to share.

Despite that, he needs to educate himself further with regard to copyright and fair use rules, and take into account that on the Internet, it's not just Australian law that applies - if it's visible in other countries, their laws apply, too.

EDIT: I do see now, that many of his photos are his own, and he has put up credits for information on some pages to Wikipedia. However, I hope he got permission to use company logos.

The website is full of cut-and-paste from other websites, with no references or credits.

A very poor effort, and typical of a lot of these "crap, money-making" websites that proliferate, designed specifically to generate sizeable income for the website owner, via clickbait.

LOL!  I love how people go off half baked.  FYI - He makes no money from any of it!  LOL!  He does it as a hobby, in his spare time, so the rest of us can enjoy some history in the very thing we love to do.  We are all so quick to judge!!

Maybe reach out and talk to the guy - you might make a new friend!