Pilot suspended for murdering dog.

Don't tell me they still have the vans roaming the streets with the spinning roof-racks, to ping people without a TV license?

No, not anymore. . . they just use previous records, and when you buy a brand new TV set, the retailer has to ( by law ) have your address details at the point of sale for the TV Licensing database. It is a criminal offence here to watch live TV broadcasts without a license, even on the web, if it is live streaming. . . .whether or not you are watching the BBC, if the platform is capable of recieving Beeb,. . .you've got to pay. Average fine for not doing so is £1,000.00 and a permanent criminal record.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland has a TV tax too but we just ignored it for 18 months on the grounds that it's bloody stupid. Luckily they never checked.

AAh,. . young Marty. . . sure and oi had no idea you were from de emerald oisle . . . ! ! ! ( what we really need is a quantum leap in tekno to produce keyboards with a programmable accent. . . .? )

Strange how we have progressed in just a few posts. . . . from DOGGICIDE to BBC license tax. . . .

( YES I KNOW - I mentioned it in Rant #70 hereinbefore posted. . . . .)

. ( ! ) [ perhaps POOCHICIDE would be a better descriptor for dogmurder. . . .Oh, and POOCHICUTION. . .for sheep worriers. . . . . .]

That's a good one Bex, made me chuckle over my coffee. Yes people can move around a bit - I believe some Aussies even become panda-shaggers!

Phil, I was only over there 18 months so didn't pick up the accent. But seriously, TV tax - when 99% of the population has the damn thing, why wouldn't you just roll it into the income tax system or something? And what are they going to do now that anyone can stream anything to PC / laptop / tablet / phone? You could watch anything you want including the BBC without ever buying a television.

Not to mention the concept is inherently unfair. I could be buying a flat panel TV just to play games on, or hook straight up to cable, or run an advertising loop in my shop, or be one of 50 used as a projection panel in a stage production... and never watch "free to air" tv, so the idea of paying an extra tax on the electrical equipment just because it COULD be used to watch TV is nonsensical.

They shot themselves in the foot with just about every vehicle tax imposed. At one stage is was on cylinder bore size and you had to use a telescope to find the pistons at BDC. It was called rated horsepower which bore little relationship to developed HP. A 500cc motorbike was a 3 1/2 HP. A result of this was motors with longstroke and rapid ring wear. in ordinary cars.. Nev

That's a good one Bex, made me chuckle over my coffee. Yes people can move around a bit - I believe some Aussies even become panda-shaggers!

So the idea of paying an extra tax on the electrical equipment just because it COULD be used to watch TV is nonsensical.

It certainly is Marty, and completely indefensible nowadsays as you point out, with all the channels available free to air. . . Why pay all that money for BBC ONLY ? . . . they get away with it mainly due to the Criminal Offence bit, the Govt' are already considering de-criminalising the fee, then that will be the end of the road for the Beeb's excessive overmanagement and gold plated salaries and pensions for all of the "Non-Job" Luvvie Leftie staff they are stuffed with. They also get substantial funding from the European Parliament, so you can guess what side their "Public Broadcaster Impartial Reporting" is going to spin during the In / Out referendum on the EU gravy train that we are now legally guaranteed at the end of 2017 .

They rely on frightening people by regularly visiting homes to check on licenses, where there has been one before,. . .but have no right of entry to the property. Saw a show last week where many people told them in no uncertain terms to "Eff off mate, . . .we don't watch BBC crap "

Should be some movement on this within the next 12 months hopefully, ME ? . . .I was going to argue the toss, but Mrs. Phil gave in and paid the tax whilst I was out ! !

Silly woman, fraid she is not an uncultured midland oik like me. . .

Sorry I interrupted the mothers club

So you're actually saying a Mother's Club murdered a dog and used it as a TV antenna?

Ahh the internet, the only place you can find real truth.

Sorry I interrupted the mothers club

Sorry Turbo - I already admitted to "Self-Drift" in an above post,. . . .great way to get a Mother's club discussion going though isn't it . . .? Or don't you have a TV tax to watch ABC ? ? ? ?

*****UPDATE*****

The pilot who "Murdered a dog" is no longer working with the FLYBE airline. This report from a small single column on page 28 in yesterday's daily Mail newspaper.

The very short report concluded that "It is not clear whether the pilot actually resigned,. . .or had his employment terminated by the company following a long period of paid suspension . . ."

So there you have it. . . . . If you wanna keep working as a pilot, don't drown your neighbour's doggie, unless you are certain that the media won't find out. The bloke was in his very early forties I believe, so he'll probably be able to continue flying for some other outfit,. .or instructing,. .or something. . .? His experience ought to be saleable I would have thought. . . None of the media reports indicated whether he was an F/O or captain. . .

( I wonder if he pays his TV license on time. . . .)

Well Phil, if you were motivated enough, you could collate data from court records in order to determine whether there's a clear correlation between pooch executioners and dogged TV license fee avoiders.

If you pitch it right, perhaps the UK government would even fund your study...

Well Phil, if you were motivated enough, you could collate data from court records in order to determine whether there's a clear correlation between pooch executioners and dogged TV license fee avoiders.

If you pitch it right, perhaps the UK government would even fund your study...

Probably a bad time to discuss doggie issues, during the PRC dogmeat festival. . .?