In-ear headphones.

We have a couple of serious gyro pilots at the airfield who use and swear by the Quiet Technology/Clarity Aloft 'bud-in-ear' headsets. On their recommendations I bought a set for use when flying the biplane but could never feel comfortable with them (must have asymmetric ear holes?) so went back conventional and relegated the set to the locker ever since. Available if anybody is interested.

• Like 1

I brought a cheap set of passive UFQ (U fly quietly) weighs 130 grams off the internet.

I have a bit of industrial deafness and they work ok for me. The sound is clearer with solid volume.

They are a bit fiddly to put on and you have to get used to the way they feel. Mine came with different size grommets to fit all size ear canals.

The only fault with them is you sometimes have to pop your ears to equalize pressure as the tight fit stops this happening on climb and decent.

cheers Butch

• Like 1

The only fault with them is you sometimes have to pop your ears to equalize pressure as the tight fit stops this happening on climb and decent.

I don't get high enough to have that problem with popping ears! Butch did you purchase locally? Found them on ebay. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by waraton

Have trialled ear moulds, made from silicon with tiny speakers moulded within, bloody brilliant. Gyro folks put me onto them. They were wired to comms usual way, did hear now possible to wifi/Bluetooth them. Cost around $200. You need to get “sports ear” clinic to form your mould, they are custom made.

Hi Waraton,

I think I got them on E bay.

Don't remember how much they were......worth a try as brand name ones ( Bose etc ) are over $1,000,

cheers Butch.

• Like 1

They shouldn't affect clearing your ears. That's done through the eustacean tubes to the back of your throat from the middle ear..

They do have a different feel and must fit correctly. Some times only one is used in Quieter cockpits.To clear ears the forced yawn works best, or chew a caramel. I couldn't clear my ears one night on descent into Sydney, and consequently perforated an eardrum. I don't advise that as it's hellishly painful.. Nev

Have trialled ear moulds, made from silicon with tiny speakers moulded within, bloody brilliant. Gyro folks put me onto them. They were wired to comms usual way, did hear now possible to wifi/Bluetooth them. Cost around $200. You need to get “sports ear” clinic to form your mould, they are custom made.

Hi Russ, any chance you can get me some contact details for the "Gyro folks" using this system. Sports ear clinic not coming up on a Google search, presumably any hearing clinic should be able to assist...maybe.

Does anyone have experience with in-ear passive headphones. What about building a set from scratch?

Waraton, I managed to scrub your PM and don't have the smarts to reply in kind. I'd accept your proposition but, due to regional travel restrictions, can't get near the hangar. Am hoping the authorities will ease off on the relevantly useless ban by next w/end so will get back to you once I can regain access to the airfield. cheers

• Like 1

They shouldn't affect clearing your ears. That's done through the eustacean tubes to the back of your throat from the middle ear..

They do have a different feel and must fit correctly. Some times only one is used in Quieter cockpits.To clear ears the forced yawn works best, or chew a caramel. I couldn't clear my ears one night on descent into Sydney, and consequently perforated an eardrum. I don't advise that as it's hellishly painful.. Nev

I used to do a bit of scuba diving Nev and that teaches you to always equalize your ear pressures.

It's very easy to burst an ear drum or get sinus squeeze both very painful!

That's why you would never dive if you have a cold or blocked nose.

I still get sinus squeeze on decent on a long haul commercial flight....a couple of Sudafed halfway through the flight helps.

• Like 1

Hi Russ, any chance you can get me some contact details for the "Gyro folks" using this system. Sports ear clinic not coming up on a Google search, presumably any hearing clinic should be able to assist...maybe.

Motorbike writer.com (ear moulds)

a lot of muster guys fly all day using moulds..

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1

Don’t know..

‘Do know that a full face helmet won’t accomodate ANR headsets. Full face with drop down visor is well used, some days, some times, bugs in the air can be a real pain hence visors, and some fit tearoffs to visors.