RA-Aus Forums

I think that we should be asking the RaAus some pertinent questions about why the new Ops Manual is unable to have parts copied from it. All you can do is print it. I don't know whether this is also going to apply to the version which they are sending us on disk.

It does rather restrict any discussion that we may wish to have if we cannot copy and past the relevant pieces into our text.

David

Two things:1. Why can't we download the whole thing? You can only get one section at a time.

2. Each page is dated July 2007. Should this be 2008? Does this mean it is effective as of July 2008 (assuming 2007 is a typo)?

The RA_Aus intent regarding publication/distribution of ops manual issue 6 and tech manual issue 3 is unclear [to me anyhow]. For all previous issues the printed manuals distributed free to every member and available at a price to non-members was regarded as the "official" document and the format appearing on the web site was "unofficial" and meant for single section access only.

It was/is assumed that members are reasonably conscientious and have absorbed the general content of the manuals so that, if their official copy is not to hand, they can readily access any section of current interest from the on-line version. For example following an inflight structural failure away from home base the pilot might wish to access section 4.10 online to see the means of reporting that failure to ATSB.

That single section access to the web site versions, which has existed since web site inception, also encourages non-members to purchase the manuals rather than download for free, which makes sense to me.

Regarding the apparent date anomaly you must all be aware by now that nothing moves fast when dealing with aviation regulation. The July date is correct it is just that the unfortunate RA-Aus staff having expended considerable effort in apparently getting a task concluded then have to debate the subject with our regulatory masters for six months before they say OK you can now publish it.

How many realise that it is now 11 years since the AUF and the others involved started development of CASR Part 103 and still the Notice of Final Rule Making has not been released. The whole regulatory change process that the RA-Aus staff take up on your behalf is extremely frustrating to them and I believe there is a lack of realisation of that amongst the members.

John Brandon

Have to inform you that the online ops manual issue 6 has now been removed. It will be reinstated when the CD is distributed to members. I will start working on the CD tonight which will be posted to Lynn Jarvis Thursday. Lynn has volunteered to do all the necessary work to convert it into a publishable format. The CD will contain the two manuals plus my online tutorials.

The reason for the withdrawal was that it was creating far more telephone calls to Mick Poole than he could cope with so please give him and the others in the office a break for a couple of months.

cheers

John

My fellow members, no matter what occurs unfortunately there will always be those that see a hidden agenda or a conspiracy in the making and disappointingly that seems to be happening again. I for one would like to make it clear that I personally and the organisation as a whole is endeavouring to behave in a transparent manner, or at least as much as is possible.

So as to accurately reflect the views of the membership in my area, prior to the February board meeting I spoke to a number of clubs, both in person and by phone and I also rang every FTF in Southern Queensland to ask for the views of their members, students and themselves on items requiring a vote and how they felt the organisation was travelling in general. This involved discussions with around 150 people. I asked 15 to 20 questions, ranging from the mundane, such as were they inconvenienced by the Christmas break closure of the office and starting a member benefits program to the more involved regarding the Ops/Tech Manual distribution, funding to help a small ultralight museum at Holbrook and thoughts on the RAAus creating a forum site.

Few had any difficulty with the closure over Christmas and all bar one supported the member benefits program, although I am still seeking real help to implement the program and anyone interested in lending a hand please feel free to email me. The overwhelming majority felt it would be a terrible squandering of our resources to provide a printed copy of the manual to all members and that the money saved would be better spent in areas such as staffing although consensus was that we should print a small number of manuals to provide to schools etc. The museum got the thumbs down and the forum site received positive support. So even though I may not agree with all the results I voted as my constituents indicated.

It is easy to take pot shots from the comfort of a soft chair but I would like to encourage anyone unhappy with the current situation and interested in running for the board to give it a go, provided that you are prepared to honestly represent the members interests. Carlo, rather than bemoaning the futility of the situation there are only a small number of members in your region with your experience why not run and try to make a change, it would only take a few dozen votes. Ian, I am heartened to hear that you are going to run and wish you the best of luck.

On a different note, Tony, while I haven’t been active in the last 6 months, I have been instructing on Drifters for almost 20 years and I would like to think of myself as at least a little bit of a rag and tube man.

Nick Sigley

SQ Board Rep

Hi Nick

Glad to hear you are coming back into things - hope all is well with you now after last year?

Just out of curiosity - when you asked the members in your area about the RA-Aus setting up forums, were they aware of these ones?

Just got the all clear yesterday which is good news and long overdue. With reference to the forums some members were aware of this site and some weren't. The idea is not to replicate what has been done here and I certainly mentioned that I personally don't have the time, inclination, ability etc to moderate anything of this sort. In my understanding the concept is mainly to disseminate information in a timely fashion.

Nick

PS Ian, How do I get my avatar back?

For those that read their new Ops manual where it says the bit about flying into controlled airspace with an endorsement, think again! because whilst the new ops manual exists, it's not allowed under 95.55 which we still operate, so no joy until 103 goes through! Same goes with many of the other goodies in there.John while you're here - from your webpage, what is the meaning of this paragraph:

"Also please note that under the current CASA regulations, LSA aircraft cannot be used for Hire and Reward. A SCoA for aircraft being used for Hire will not be issued. The basis of the regulation wording states LSA aircraft can only be used for Private Ops, Flying Training and Glider Towing. Chris Kiehn has emailed Bernie Hole from CASA for his understanding of this. This could be a serious blow for anyone wishing to make money with LSA aircraft..!"

Saw this and thought I would add the response here to dispel the confusion, if any:

"The information you require is contained in CAR 262 APA. The requirements are that production LSA aircraft can be used for Private operations Flying training Glider towing.

The aircraft can be hired out for any of these operations. In other words, if you owned an aircraft you could hire it out to a person for private operations etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bernie

"

Cheers

Chris

• 10 years later...

Well said TOSGcentral and the latest the idiots have come up with is the transition of our pilots certificate card into a club membership instead. I did,nt start flying to join a fucking club i,m already a member of three others and could,nt give a rats arse for their new (club) membership, this is discrace and absolute proof positive of how they regard us and are not even on the same book let alone on the same page as the pilots. Reinstate the only reason we are asociated with RAA (the pilot certificate endorsement card.

• Agree 1