Soar Aviation Out Of Business

jackc

The Comet was the first commercial jetliner which first flew in 1949 and as such paved the way for the rest and I don't think you can put all the blame on engineers for the failures. Square windows were what the designers and airlines wanted and the engineers of the time had no indication that the corners would be the points of failure with multiple pressurisations and depressurisations. The concept of metal fatigue was not well known or understood at the time.

There have been hundreds of failures in Aviation that have killed many people but the important thing is we have learned from these and made changes to eliminate each to make aircraft as safe as they are today. Any armchair pilot watching Air Crash Investigation can probably recount dozens of failures by poor design, inadequate strength or poor materials etc.

Through a process of continuous improvement the final Comet 4 debuted in 1958 and was in continuous service till 1981 but the military variant, the Nimrod was not retired till 2011. That is a pretty good service record (1949-2011) despite the early setbacks in my book.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

The Comet was the first commercial jetliner which first flew in 1949 and as such paved the way for the rest and I don't think you can put all the blame on engineers for the failures. Square windows were what the designers and airlines wanted and the engineers of the time had no indication that the corners would be the points of failure with multiple pressurisations and depressurisations. The concept of metal fatigue was not well known or understood at the time.

There have been hundreds of failures in Aviation that have killed many people but the important thing is we have learned from these and made changes to eliminate each to make aircraft as safe as they are today. Any armchair pilot watching Air Crash Investigation can probably recount dozens of failures by poor design, inadequate strength or poor materials etc.

And  as one of those Air Crash Investigations armchair pilots, I have learnt a lot of hints from those episodes 🙂 

• Informative 1

Most of the AIR CRASH INVESTIGATIONS have been fully reported on long before they become  the subject of this series. Having been able to access most of the and probably ALL I would comment that generally the SHOW is pretty close to the facts, but not exact. It's produced for an audience and I doubt that it helps sell Air Tickets. To me that aspect of it is somewhat irritating but there is a need to not make it too technical  to be beyond the understanding of the Audience. Like many things the BOOK is better than the movie. Nev

• Like 1