ch701 story

shafs64

This happened about ten years ago. like i said it was booked in for some work at the local lame someone who worked at the airport saw it parked near the fuel pumps then the next morning the same person saw it with the engine missing and the tail on the ground but they were nice enough and left the cowls with the aircraft.

• Informative 1

Pricks.  If you were going to go to the trouble of stealing the engine, it'd probably be an idea to prop the tail up on something and screw the cowls back on.  From a distance you wouldn't notice anything wrong with it.

• Agree 1

I am thinking of buying the aircraft as long fix up. but the issues are beside getting an engine is the problem with there not being many of the type in Australia getting parts.

The good thing about it is you can make pretty much every part yourself.  If you do end up getting it and ever need help, I have the plans plus rib formers etc for most parts.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

There are very few parts you cannot make for yourself and such as there are would be mainly engine or instrument related and they are items common to many types. If there are parts that you actually need to buy from Zenith, then James Fisher at Swish Projects is the very active and very helpful Australian agent. I love my CH701 and the only problem is I don’t fly it enough!!!

Edited by derekliston
Misprints
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I'm told a fair bit of this engine theft goes on in Europe, and on occasions they loot several engines in one session: apparently they don't bother undoing anything, they just take big bolt cutters to the engine mount..........